Scared ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ColinDelsink, May 22, 2019.

1. ColinDelsink

ColinDelsink In the Brooder

May 1, 2019
    A few weeks ago we bought 4 ducklings and they are still scared of us they were already scared of the previous owner, just wondering if you have any tips on taming them a bit.

house.of.ducks and quackiemama like this.
  2. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    snacks always seems to warm mine up. Even my rouen female who is just cranky suddenly is sweet when mealworms or peas are involved. I talk softly and let them eat from my hand though none of them like to be picked up or held anymore. Just my little ducklings. How old are yours?

DuckyDonna and house.of.ducks like this.
  3. ColinDelsink

ColinDelsink In the Brooder

May 1, 2019
    About 4-5 weeks old, i have tried hand feeding them before but they just run away

house.of.ducks and quackiemama like this.
  4. Keziah

Keziah Songster

Sep 25, 2017
    laay some peas infront of your hand, while holding a handful of peas so they dont have to start off eating the snacks. Also, you can just be around tehm, and they will warm up to you with time

5. Jadecinadr96

Jadecinadr96 Chirping

Mar 25, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Mine love when they are sang too, or even if you hum. They legit go into a trans. But snacks work too!!!

6. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    Hahah mine love singing too. I usually talk them in a singy voice. I am glad I don't have neighbors close by that can see and hear me.

7. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    That is a great idea!

ColinDelsink and house.of.ducks like this.
  8. house.of.ducks

house.of.ducks Songster

May 4, 2018
    Connecticut
    As everyone else is saying, snacks definitely work wonders on getting ducks to trust you. Also just sitting with them in their pen or in the yard or wherever they are kept while they do their thing is a good way to bond with them. I found that if I just sit near my more skittish ducks and watch them for a bit, they'll eventually get curious and start to come closer to "investigate" me. And after a while, they just get used to my presence (this usually takes at least a few days) and will come up to me and peck at me and quack for treats.

9. house.of.ducks

house.of.ducks Songster

May 4, 2018
    Connecticut
    And don't be afraid to talk to them!! The more they get used to your voice the better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: