Scared ducks

P3JF

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 5, 2013
Florida
I have 2 Pekin ducks almost a year old. They have a pen off the ground with a ramp to get in and out. Recently I spray some black rubberized sealant to keep them from sliding off the ramp and now they won't go near it. As soon as they saw it they backed away and refused to come out, not even treats could bribe them. Eventually I tried pushing them out and they flew over the ramp. Are they just not used to it? Or maybe the scent of the rubber? My wife said the black rubber bumps sort of looks like alligator skin? If anyone knows why they're acting this way towards the ramp, I'm really curious to know!

Ducks are all about routine and schedual. If they see something new or different they shun it for a little bit. Mine even refused to use a new water bucket that was a different color of the origional one! They got over this is a couple days though. Just give your ducks time, they will get used to it :)

Hey there,
How long has it been? It may just take some time for them to get over. For all of last November my ducks would not use their kiddie pool, I could not figure it out. I would pick them up and drop them in and they would take off running from the water. Odd, especially for a duck.

I think what happened was my Golden Retriever would jump in the kiddie pool with them. While I would work in the yard, my dog would run over and jump in the pool causing the ducks to flee. After a month of avoiding the pool, they returned to it like normal ducks as if nothing had happened.

Go figure!

Last edited:
Ducks are all about routine and schedual. If they see something new or different they shun it for a little bit. Mine even refused to use a new water bucket that was a different color of the origional one! They got over this is a couple days though. Just give your ducks time, they will get used to it
smile.png

X2
welcome-byc.gif
P3JF

Back
Top Bottom