1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scared frist bloody egg"photos"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bare bottom farm, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Bare bottom farm

Bare bottom farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    White Pine
    [​IMG] This is the frist bloody egg photo but she has laid two in a row that are bloody. Is this normal? Do I need to do any thing for her?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

You're not alone. I freaked when it happened to one of my girls. I'll leave a link below to the thread I posted. I had only 1 bloody eggs since my post and it was minimally bloody. All my girls are fine. If your girls' behavior seems normal, then there's likely little to worry about. Scary though, isn't it?!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=273527

3. Bare bottom farm

Aug 23, 2009
    White Pine
    [​IMG] Thank you so much for your post.... I was soooooooo [​IMG] worried.. I hope and pray she will not lay a bloody egg tomorrow [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  4. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Mine does that from time to time... I mean they do have to puch that outta them right!? Just watch their rears and she should be fine [​IMG]

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Out of 24 pullets of 7 mo age, I have seen one bloody egg, and no repeats. Had several soft or thin shelled ones as each newbie came online. [​IMG]

6. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Prissy's first egg was as round as a basketball (a Bantam sized basketball...) and had blood on it. The next one was less round, less blood. As the eggs went slim the blood went away and she was the only one it happened to.

7. Bare bottom farm

Aug 23, 2009
    White Pine
    Hi all , I got another bloody egg today. So I feed some veggie oil to them,sure hope this helps.... [​IMG]

8. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    With some hens bloody eggs are normal. It seems like they want to impress the others [​IMG], but seems to decrees with time. Hope this helps.
    Most of my young (under 2yrs old) hens tend to have bloody eggs. It is easy to clean for eating and does not seam to affect hatching.

9. Bare bottom farm

Aug 23, 2009
    White Pine
    Thank you! Do I need to clean her bottom or anything? She acts normal and eats good her feathers on her butt just look unkept.

10. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Tell her to stop laying eggs!

Sorry, just couldn't resist that. Not much you can do, it'll be fine don't worry! If it isn't, there's little to be done anyway. A warm bath is a possibility I suppose, but not in the dead of winter, that would only make things worse, and really it's not really something to worry about. Just make sure she's eating well and let her be.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by