1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scared Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LanzaroteSteve, Dec 2, 2011.

1. LanzaroteSteve

LanzaroteSteve Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Hi all,

We live on a small island in Spain and I was given a banty hen 2 days ago by a farmer who kept his animals in a way which most would find "uncomfortable" for want of a better word! I brought it home and have put her in quarantine, and dusted her for lice and mites, and put wormer in her food. But in 36 hours she has just sat there, not eating or drinking, and only moves in fear when you go near her and tries to fly into the chicken wire to escape. She seems terrified, she's only done maybe 3 or 4 poops in the 36 hours I've had her. Is this normal? And any ideas on how I could encourage her to eat/drink?

Thanks all!

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    She is scared. If she has been caged she doesnt know how to act. Try giving her treats as scrambled eggs to see if she will eat. What did the other guy feed her and how? Maybe you are feeding her different and she is not sure what she is suppose to be doing. Do you have a friend that you could put in with her? If ahe sees the other chicken doing chicken things she will see that it ok.

3. LanzaroteSteve

LanzaroteSteve Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Thanks for your help Sheila, I was reluctant to put a friend in with her for fear of spreading the suspected lice, and even after offering her lots of treats she's still not eating! Although she is very alert, she's so terrified as soon as you go anywhere near her - in fact she makes me jumpy! I do think it will make a difference once she's integrated with the others, I think I will do this today. Thanks again for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by