scared hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickengirl28, Mar 8, 2015.

1. chickengirl28

chickengirl28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2015
    UK
    Hi I have a hen who is 1 years old ive raised her since she was 3 days old
    she used to be a very noisey chickieee and used to love my climb upto my shoulders
    but now shes likes to stay away from me I dont know why I have never ever hit her or
    ever be mean to her the only way I be mean to a chicken is by shouting at them
    this hen is still very noise mostly when she needs to lay an egg but I do
    hold her to make her feel comfortable around me but everytime I pick her up
    she makes a sound

So I want to find out how do I make her comfortable around me thank you

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Well she is all grown up and independent now! Never chase her, bother her while she is in the nest box or insist on holding her when she fusses for too long. If she will eat out of your hand, that is about as friendly as most chickens will be after living in the coop for a year or more. Never trick her by offering food and then grabbing her. She will never trust you if you do that. If she is on the roost but it is not yet dark, you can try holding her, do not grab her in the dark unless she needs urgent care or is lost outside at night. Pet her head, wattles or chest. Touching a bird's back is tantamount to a predator attack. A house chicken may be more affectionate but you can't expect that of birds who live outdoors.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Some birds like to be held and touched...and some don't.

I had some real lovey chicks that now hate to be touched.......I had a couple chicks who raised holy heck every time I picked them up and wouldn't calm down, those 2 chicks now come up to me every morning and want to be picked up and are just content as all get out to be touched about anywhere I want to touch them.

4. chickengirl28

chickengirl28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2015
    UK
    Hi Just plain batty and aart my hen thank you
    now I have realised things imhave been doing wrong
    thank you sooooooo much and I will not doing anything like
    that again thanxz

5. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    You're very welcome! We are glad to help! Best wishes to you and your hen![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by