Scared My Turkeys Will Freeze This Winter! Any Advice Very Welcome!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by venetianblinds, Oct 29, 2013.

1. venetianblinds

venetianblinds Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2013
    Usk, British Columbia
    This is my first time raising turkeys; I have a male and female broad-breasted bronze. They're about 4 months right now and seem to be doing well. They have a good-sized fenced area outside to roam around in and appear happy and healthy. Their current "coop" though, is just a chicken ark and only has wire on the front and has a tin A-frame roof with no insulation. I'm wondering if they will be okay in the winter with just that as their shelter. I am planning on butchering them around Christmas but it will be well into winter by that time. I live in Usk, British Columbia so it gets pretty cold and snowy. Any suggestions? I want them to be comfortable during the colder months.

2. venetianblinds

Oct 17, 2013
    Usk, British Columbia
    [​IMG]

This is them!

3. mrclif

mrclif Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Alabama
    I'm new to raising turkeys too but mine seem to like the cooler weather better. Their eating like horses now though. Wild birds seem to do good in the cold but I dono bout your weather where you are. Maybe someone will chime in with advice.

4. Fat Man

Fat Man Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    I think turkeys can handle BC winters. Just give them a place they can get out of the weather if they want and a source of unfrozen water.

[​IMG]

5. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    My turkeys stay outside in -30 F with no shelter other than some spruce trees. They do fine. They make their own trails through the snow. You shouldn't have any trouble.

6. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    You mention they are "broad-breasted bronze." Just due to the nature of these birds being bred for quick table birds their size will likely get them before the cold will. Broad Breasted Turkeys do not live long because they gain weight so fast their bodies can not support them. Of course, if they are just bronze turkeys, then all other advice seems good.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  7. venetianblinds

Oct 17, 2013
    Usk, British Columbia
    Awesome, this is very good to know! Thanks!

I know that these birds don't live very long and I plan to butcher them just before Christmas; at that time they'll be about six months old. From what I've read they should be fine at that age; is this true or should I butcher them sooner? I was told they are broad-breasted bronze and not just bronze but these are my first turkeys so I couldn't say which they truly are.

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Also, because they are big fast growing birds their metabolism is running at full tilt-- like my kids, they stay warm.

9. hdmax

hdmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Central Ohio
    I have 21 young turkeys, (nineteen 20 week old ones, and two 5 week olds ones.) and this is my first year raising turkeys. Most of them will not go in to the coop at night, and I have to round them up just to get them in the covered pen where they are safe from night prowlers. I have several roost in the pen, and they all roost on them at night. I have thought about removing the outside roost for the winter, then maybe they would go into the coop. They have been out in 26* overnight temperatures, and even all night cold rains, and they appear to be doing just fine. But winter isn't really here yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by