Scared of coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alessadry, Jul 16, 2017.

1. alessadry

alessadry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    So my husband decided to install a new door in the coop. It's an automatic door so the chickens could get in and out at a set time. Of course, all the drilling and hammering kept the chickens away, but I thought this was going to be just temporary.

So we go to feed the chickens by putting the food in the coop and nobody goes inside. Since the ramp is now by this new door's entrance, we thought maybe the lack of ramp was making them reluctant to enter.

So BIG MISTAKE, I move the ramp to the door they were used to using and they ALL panic just because I moved the ramp. Chicken flying everywhere. Roosters making weird noises like chickens who who just laid an egg. Me calling them back and only 3 chickens came close to the coop but stayed away at a distance. The rooster was calling them to gather under the big tree.

Now I see all the chickens under the big mesquite tree. And a couple are on top of some branches. Now I am afraid they have decided to roost there tonight. My husband says once they roost on the tree they will likely never sleep again in the coop. Is this true? My husband is very angry at this point because he spent a lot of money and time building the automatic door.

Any ideas what to do? I am at home now and thinking to let them just be because nothing works. Hopefully, by the time it's starting to get dark some may decide to go in the coop. But the rooster is the pain since he keeps calling them under the tree.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. TwinsLoveChicks

TwinsLoveChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    My Coop
    I would catch as many as possible and put them in the coop if they don't go in on their own. Maybe if they see that nothing will hurt them they will be all right with it in the morning. Good luck! :)

3. alessadry

Mar 3, 2011
    Thanks TwinsLoveChicks, problem is they are free range chicken and I cannot chase them around 1 acre!

I am worried that they will be out and not safe and that they will no longer go sleep in the coop at night. How do I get the eggs as well if they roost outside and no longer use the $1,000 coop we built them ? Their laying boxes are in the coop.

4. alessadry

Mar 3, 2011
    Please help, they were getting close to the coop, almost going in and the stupid rooster started making stupid noises again and now they are back to the tree area!

5. kitkat5505

kitkat5505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2017
    Utah
    Can you reach them in the tree? You may need to wait until they are sleeping and bring them in and shut them in for the night, if you can reach them.

6. alessadry

Mar 3, 2011
    It depends how high they will roost. Are they easy to catch when they are sleeping?

7. alessadry

Mar 3, 2011
    Can I use a flashlight to catch them if I can reach them?

8. kitkat5505

Apr 25, 2017
    Utah
    Once they are asleep they should be easy to pick up and move. I wouldn't shine a flashlight directly on them, that annoys mine when they are sleeping, but have it a bit further away so you can see but not too bright.

9. bekachickenborn

bekachickenborn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2016
    Can you lure them by calling them and using treats? If I go out and do the "chook chook" call and sprinkle their favorite treats, they always follow me. But it has to be me. They don't do it for my husband.

10. kitkat5505

Apr 25, 2017
    Utah
    Even if you only can get a few moved that's a start. If you can get the rooster that would be even better, once he sees the coop is safe he'll lead his girls back there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by