Scared of her shadow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lovemy6hens, Jan 5, 2015.

1. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    One of our hens appears to be afraid of her shadow. If she sees it, she kneels a little and sort of wiggles back from it. Is this normal?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I think what you're seeing is a nerological problem, and not associated with her shadow at all. Does she tuck her head down, and walk backwards? I have a black sex link who does this, and it's most common if she's molting, if the weather is cold, or early in the morning. You might try to get some vitamin E into her as well as a good vitamin mix. I use Poultry Nutri-drench. When ever I see her symptoms coming back, I start the vitamins, and she improves. Because of this weakness, I don't intend to hatch any of her eggs. This seems to be common to silkies.

3. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Thank you for the info, I take care of a silkie that buries her head in the sand like an ostrich and hates being around other white silkies. She is fine around black ones. I call her my psychotic chicken. She is so sweet and I love her, I think because she is the way she is.

4. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    It looks as if she's trying to back away with her head instead of her body. She isn't tucking her head down. I hope that makes sense. I'll definitely try vitamins. She's a black sex link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by