Scared Roo and a Blind Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crj, Jun 24, 2010.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I would like to know what you think. My French Copper Maran chickens are 6 months old. They are very friendly. I have a total of 8. Unfortunatly I have 6 roos and 2 hens rather then the other way around. Just recently I had to separate 2 roosters from the flock.

I noticed a long time ago there was a roo that couldn't judge distance. He would try to fly out of his coop or into it and ALWAYS miss his mark. Kind of funny but felt bad when he crashed. Now I have it figured out which one. The other roos were starting to really pick on him and another roo. So bad that they were afraid to come out. They would spend all their time in the coop.

[​IMG]
    I leave the entire door open on the right because of the heat.

[​IMG]
    One roo would stay under the bench/perch or in the nest box tail hanging out and face against the wall. The other would stay under the bench/perch or on top.

I want to know if it's possible that these 2 roos are sick. They seem healthy. Definitely not aggressive. You can walk right next to them and they will not go anywhere. You can pick them up and they won't peck. They will struggle just a tad but I think that is becasue of the movement. They have no problem being held. The roo that seems blind will get out and walk around and check things out. He is a happy go lucky kind of guy. The other roo won't come out of the crate that I have them in right now. I have to take him out and close the door so he won't go back in. It's only been a couple of days. Do you think they are sick? If so, what could it be? or could one just be in shock from the torment from the other roosters?

[​IMG]
    Roo that is blind. The stuff on the front of his comb is food. The black I believe is avian pox. Not a good shot of his eyes. They look normal. I can get a better picture if you want.

[​IMG]
    Roo that is scared not blind

[​IMG]

2. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Someone has to know what's up with these two roosters. My husband thinks they are sick. Are Marans a very calm breed? I've never seen roosters act like this.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Can you separate the two that concern you? See if they are more active when away from the other roosters. Maybe they are just hiding from the other (more superior) roos.

4. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Yes, I did separate the two from the others. Last picture in the post. One is afraid to come out of the crate but when he does he sits in the back part of the pen. The blind roo walks around but also keeps the frightened roo company. The blind one likes to crow, the scared one crows once in a while.

5. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I think they are probably fine...just trying to be invisible. I have noticed in my flock that there are certain roos that are just NICE. Unfortunately the more aggressive ones will pick on them and make them scared so they have the hens all to themselves! You are right to separate them. They sure are some nice looking birds! To fix the problem you have to either get a bunch more hens, get rid of the shy ones or get rid of the aggressors and put the shy ones back with the hens. I didnt see the hen too well but they will get pretty raw on the back if there are only 2 of them with all those boys![​IMG]
    HTH a little! Terri O

(PS) make sure you look over the separated roos for mites etc. It seems like all my roos that act like that and hide are way more susceptible to a pest infestation!

6. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Hi Terri O

Man, it just seems like these Marans are just too nice. I've never seen such docile roos before let a lone hens. Granted, they are only 6 months old. I don't know anyone else that has any of these birds. I know what you mean about the hens getting abused by the roos. I have several of those hens and they are wearing aprons. I did get rid of an aggressive roo. Although, those birds are not Marans. The Marans I keep in there pens, they do not free range.

We will probably cull most of the roos. When? I don't know. We have to get up the nerve since we have never done it before. My husband is having a problem with it. I think I'll be ok. I may be able to do the deed but I can't do the guts. What I'm noticing now is that they are so nice it's going to make it a little harder to do. I do have 2 hens and want to breed more Marans. I have one hen that just laid her first egg last week.

The scared roo did come out of the crate by himself today. He still sits in the back corner of the pen though. Eddie (blind roo) keeps him company.

7. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    sometimes the slower maturing roos (hormone wise) get picked on by the faster maturing roos. I have had docile ones who were picked on get much more bold as the matured a little especially if kept away from the more aggressive roos for awhile. Your one roo might not be totally blind but could just have a depth perception type of problem.
    I have one brahma hen that will not jump down from a higher spot onto the ground. Also, she gets lost from her flock when she is freeranging with them. I started paying more attention to the situation and it seems she can't see them from a distance. She will run around and cry for them. If I get her to follow me, I can walk her up close to them and she can see them and will run off towards them. She is perfectly healthy otherwise. We have this little bantam oeg roo that kinda checks up on her now and trys to keep her with the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by