1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scared the eggs out of her??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1newchickontheblock, Sep 18, 2010.

1. 1newchickontheblock

1newchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2010
    Eastern MA
    4 of my feathered friends were closed out of the coop last night, as the auto door closed early because of overcast skies. I went out to check on them @ 10pm, and 3 were huddled on the ramp, 1 was on a stump roost. (the run is all enclosed, so they were safe, at least) They looked very scared, however, and when I shined the flashlight, saw 1 broken egg and another on the ground, under the RIR. Weird! Well, I put them inside, went to scoop up the broken egg, and there was essentially no shell. The other egg was very soft - like a water balloon. SO strange! My question (finally!): Is it possible these chickens were so scared that they dropped the eggs they were developing for laying the next day? (kind of like "scaring the s**t" out of someone!?) Any thoughts on this bizarre finding? [​IMG] Thanks!

2. 1newchickontheblock

1newchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2010
    Eastern MA
    Oh, and they get oyster shells, plenty of everything they need. Everyone's been laying and the shells have always been super hard...

3. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I guess it is possible. My red sex links do this on occasion. Maybe once every few months or so I will find a soft egg beneath their roost. If it doesn't happen again for some time I would just say it is a natural occurrence. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by