Scared The Living Heck Outta Me!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by JP33, Sep 6, 2010.

1. JP33

JP33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Southeast, Louisiana
    I have three dogs, two rat terriers and one chow. My chow is 14, my female rat terrier is 6 and my male rat terrier is 11. The chow believe it or not is the best behaved, always has been an absolute sweetheart.

My female rat is my lil pork chop as she is plump, a lil too plump, but its because she has seizures and gets two Phenobarbital tablets a day, which makes her eat like a lil piglet.

My male is my boy and he is quite a handful sometimes, not with me but with my wife. He is bad I have to admit but he is a handsome lil devil and I hate to say, my favorite.

There's just something about him that makes us close. I'm close with all my dogs but he is something special.

Can you tell by now my wife and I don't have kids?

Anyway, this morning my boy gave me a scare! He never jumped into bed last night like he usually does, he ventured out and I figured he was probably into something and was just guarding it or whatever.

My two rats sleep with us, have for years now so I know when he's not in bed as he sleeps between my calves.

I got up early to see where he was and he was in the front room laying on one of the doggie pillows.

When I get up, all three dogs usually follow me and I let them out.

He didn't follow and I came back in for him and he was just standing there hunched over, obviously in some kind of pain.

Man, I have to tell you I was upset!

I gave him a pain pill and he laid down on the pillow and went to sleep. I stayed on the couch and sent my wife back to bed while I kept an eye on him.

Well, I wake up hours later on the couch and he's still on the pillow, but when I get up, he gets up, and we all go outside.

And it was like some miracle, he appears to be perfectly OK.

He came up to me and I had my lil buddy back again! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I tell you, I was scared for him and on a holiday nonetheless.

Little dogs commonly get seizures, he has had a few in the past but the vet has always said he doesn't need medicine.

I'm wondering if perhaps he had one, I don't know, but this whole thing has been odd.

Tomorrow he will be going to the vet.

Right now he is sleeping like a baby and appears fine.

Thanks for listening.

...JP

2. afinney

afinney Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Gainesboro, TN
    I'm glad he's better [​IMG] I panic and worry about my other kids when they're sick too so I understand

3. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    best of luck to you. our dogs are our babies and I don't know what we would do without them sometimes.

[​IMG] [​IMG] and I'll keep my [​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

So glad your buddy seems OK, and you are taking him in to get checked out.
    I know what you mean, with just a look you can tell somerthing's wrong, you get that sick twisted feeling in your guts. And it's never at a convenient time. (Like Labor Day morning)

Imp

5. JP33

JP33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Southeast, Louisiana
    Thanks folks. My buddy is sleeping quite a bit today but he seems OK otherwise. Its hard when they start having problems. My chow has been steadily losing her hearing but still seems fine otherwise albeit she's pushing 15 years. The vet is amazed at how good her health is for a dog her age.

...JP

6. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I have chihuahuas and I know that sometime their blood sugar gets out of whack. Your little fellas symptoms sound like their symptoms. It is fairly common in little dogs. My vet told us to put some karo syrup on our fingers and let them lick it off, works quickly. It couldn't hurt to try this next time. I think I have heard that they can die without intervention, so if he gets lethargic give it to him. Hope this helps. We love our little dogs so much!

Micah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by