Scared the *you know what* outta me

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LilBizzy, Nov 5, 2009.

1. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    We have 3 coops/runs. Every day between 2 and 4 "big girls" escape their run. About half the time, they get back inside the run before bedtime. If they dont, they wait by the human door till I get home.
    So, tonight, I get home, and there is no one waiting for me by the human door. But I had a feeling.. Did a head count ( well, a butt count cause they face the other way) and one was missing. I had a little bit of a bad feeling.
    Before doing a flashlight search, I went to tuck "the babies" in. The babies are 6 month old banties. I get down on my hands and knees, and reach to get little miss frizzled broodypants off the eggs(under the roosts there is a dropping board- they have plenty of room to walk and nest under there). Stand up, put her on the roosts. Give everyone a petting, then turn to leave.

All of a sudden, I see something in the shadows under the roosts moving. I dern near had a heart attack before she stepped in to the light- it was the missing chicken. She was rolling a teeny tiny bantam egg toward herself.
    Yup, the big ole chicken was hiding in the corner of the banty coop.
    I have no idea how/why she was in there. Half of their run is covered. And the part that isnt covered, the fence is 6 feet high. She would have had to fly on to the coop, then walk across the edge, then fly into their run. Then followed them in to the coop. Oh, I sure wish I had ben home to see THAT. I wonder if the little rooster Barney Fife danced for her LOL. I wonder if she was going to try to sit on the little teeny tiny egg. Ah, sometimes you just really need a chicken cam..

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Aren't chickens great for giving you near heart attacks? I lost a big hen- somehow escaped from Fort Knox. Four days later, found her roosting in a holly tree half an acre away!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by