Scared They Aren't Going to Hatch UPDATE - I have a pip

deenamr

Songster
11 Years
Jul 6, 2008
Central Oregon
My first time incubating. On day 18 I had 8 that I could see movement in and 4 that were dark but not moving. Today is day 21 and so far nothing. I am going crazy. Is it possible or likely that they died since Wed? Temp is at 99.5 to 100 and humidity is around 70%. I am a little worried because the humidity has fluctuated more in the last 3 days then it did during the first 18 days. When will they pip? Should I see the eggs vibrating as the chicks are getting positioned to come out? Should I be able to hear them peeping inside of the eggs?

Last edited:
I seldom see mine moving around prior to hatching....the egg, I mean. It is just day 21....if your temps were a bit low then it can take a little longer. You can stick your head to the bator and chirp at it....listen for a reply.
smile.png
Once they break into the air cell they can talk to you. Just don't open the bator.....if they were alive on day 18 they are probably alive now. The ones you saw that were dark but not moving could very well be alive, too. They are crammed in there and don't have a lot of room to move. If the egg was dark then they had most likely continued to grow and develop (if it was rotten you would smell it). Good luck. I know it is nerve wracking!!!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Just have patience for them to hatch, I've had chicks hatch on day 25 if my temps have been lower that I thought through day 18. Just think positive!! No opening the bator.

I have one egg with a very small pip that just started. I can't stand it. I need to go outside and do some work on expanding the chicken yard and all I want to do is stare at my eggs. I hope they all come through.

Back
Top Bottom