1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scared to death pigeons

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by thewarriorchild, Aug 27, 2008.

1. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    If you read under predators you will see I have had a vicious horrifying bear attack. My pigeons landed in the coop yard last night but while I was at work the bear was back and now they are on the roof of the house. I am not sure what to do? Trap em and keep em inside for a while? Put them in the coop? Let them sleep outside? I have a flock of like 13. I found pigeon feathers we thing on the ground today so I wonder if we lost one or one is hurt. They are SO scared. I HATE THAT BEAR!!

Thanks for your ideas!
    Oh, theirs was the first section the bear went through.
    I would not consider the coop safe yet and they used to fly in and out of the window the bear came in. I am considering adding escape hatches to the coop so if something gets in while they are locked in for the night I could provide an escape.

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Trap and move them inside. Easy prey for all the owls at night.

Never had to deal with a bear. Pigeon dont like to fly at night. They will set on their perch, will a coon picking them off one at a time. escape doors are just another way in for a predator to get in.

3. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    Trap how? We lost at least two and I was to scared to go all the way in the coop to see what was in there tonight. I saw some in there. I did leave the window open a bit, they know how to get in and out that way. I would rather them in the coop then not.

What if it was part of the roof or something that never is open exceptin an extreme case like mine?

4. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Personally, I would make the coop as racoon proof as possible and put an electric fence for a perimeter to deter bears and larger animals. I know one of my dogs nabbed a turkey from a fence one night, and was happily eating it while the other turkeys were perched just above on a 4' fence. Chickens are the same way, and if pigeons are the same, if they wake up at all they will probably just fly around in a panic and not go out the emergency exit. Your best bet is to make it predator proof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by