SCARED TO DEATH to get 2 more UPDATE!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by fishnet1971, Sep 17, 2012.

1. A few months back i adopted a pullett that was 'sick' from a lady that has no clue anything about chickens. She had three what I am assuming are leghorns. (dont know if anyone remembers the story of Gracie?) She was egg bound and I took her to try and see if I could save her. She would have died if i didnt. Well, she didnt make it.
    Here's the link from her: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/681881/meet-gracie

Anyway, I was contacted by the owner of the remaining two today and she wants to know if I would like to have the other 2 because she is moving and cant take them. She only had 3 total, they were in a closed flock TOTALLY clean and really nice area. not a farm, a city/urban area. No other animals around, no other chickens - totally closed flock of 3. I have inspected these girls - now a year old and they are immaculate beautiful healthy girls. No mites, worms, sores, etc. that I can see. Poop looks good, good weight, eyes bright,etc.

I would love to bring them home - have the room, feed, etc. I am scared to death at the chance of bringing something into my current flock. I had issues with 4 chicks a few months back (only 1 survived) and got really a good scare from that.

Would you guys take them in or let them go?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I remember Gracie, so sad! I'd say get the girls, but quarantine them for awhile to make sure they are really clean. Deworm them, dust for mites etc.

3. and ya know, I just settled down with the idea of not getting any more until spring after all the crap that's happened over the last few months with them..... lolol.....

They really were the most beautiful softest birds. and healthy....(so it looked). I know what their winter houseing is/was like and no bird should have to go through that for the winter. Just a rabbit hutch covered with a tarp and a heat lamp. I know, I know, it's fine, they would be fine... but, it they dont have a tajmahal of at least 40 degrees, I cringe... lol

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I can tell you really want to get them... I know I would! My DH asked people to stop offering me chickens, especially sick ones, as I can't resist. If I say No I end up worrying about them [​IMG]

5. Yea, I will worry about them. I think I will go take a CLOSE look at them and everything looks good I will take 'em. I am scared of disease really. Mites and worms I can handle. It's mareks (well, I vaccinated the flock already) and CRD and stuff I am worried about. Things that dont rear their head immediatly. But i guess we all take our chances dont we.

6. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I took chances and some of them paid off and some didn't. Due to my stupidity! I didn't quarantine and boy did I learn my lesson [​IMG] I took in chickens from a guy who didn't know how to take proper care of his flock, refused to deworm them etc. Can you say "idiot"? That's me... If I ever take in chickens again I'll be more careful. Deworm, check for mites, vaccinate etc. Quarantine, quarantine, quarantine...

7. Well, I told the lady yesterday after talking with her in depth that I would take the two girls. It will be about 3 weeks before she can let them go to me. She really likes them and the last day for her to keep them is in 3 weeks. I asked her if she would mind if i come over and administer Mareks vaccine soon and await her reply on it. I am thinking if i have to wait anyway, what better way for the vaccine to kick in before they get here? One step ahead. That way i can get a good look at them and do a good 'check over' before i get them too.

I am ready for them, excited as well. Two new babies!!!! well, not babies, they are about 10 months old I think. They were given to her son as pullets for Super Bowl Sunday this year. So, safe to say under a year. Gonna need names you guys.... I will snap some pictures when i go out to see them and give them the vaccine. I am thinking it would be smart to take a poo sample to have looked at as well.

Let the count down begin!!!!![​IMG]

8. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That's good! I want to see pics of these ladies when you get them, but don't ask me for names! I'm not good at naming chickens LOL

9. The lady agreed to let me come out any time and vaccinate them. Do you guys think that i should hit them up with anything other than the Mareks while I am out there?
    maybe I should name them Pop and Corn....lololol
    I am antsy already..... it is going to be a LONG few weeks.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  10. so yesterday I traveled out to the vaccinate them at their home. They are white rocks I am 99% sure. I got them vaccinated for Mareks no problem. They are both in great shape, poo's look good, no feet problems, I did not see any mites or anything on them. Feathers are shiney white. Red combs and wattles. Bright eyes. I brought some 'treats' with me as I know they have been raised in a wooded area (about a 40 ft round circle of chicken wire) with no grass and the owner has not done much domestication/handling/feeding with them. I gave them a cut up cucumber and they didnt know what to think of it. it scared them!!!!! lololol. I was able to get each hen to sit on my lap while i vaccinated and they were ok with that, so they have been handled at least.

I am sooooo eggcited to get them home in a few weeks!!!!! I forgot to get any photos!!!! I know, IDIOT!!!!!!!!!! I gave them a piece of cheese and they did take that out of my hand ok, so they will be great girls. They are both laying an egg a day she said. Vents look good as well. They were a gift to her son as a superbowl present in Feb. 2012, and were small but not chicks she said, so I am thinking they are about a year old.

One is smaller than the other a little bit - I am thinnking of calling her Midge.
    The more bossy of the two, little bigger - Marge? Meg? Meatball?????? lolol

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by