1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scared to death

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NewChickieFarm, Apr 29, 2016.

1. NewChickieFarm

NewChickieFarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2015
    Falmouth, KY
    Ok, so I was extremely happy with my little flock. I had my roo, my group of hens, everything was great...until an owl got my Roo. I was devastated. He was a "mutt" per say but he was beautiful and losing him hurt. So I did the most logical thing that a heart broken woman does, I got an incubator, did some quick research and threw a dozen eggs in it so I could have a few of his offspring. I didn't have much hope since these eggs were laid after his passing but I was emotionally driven. Today was day #4 in the incubator and I decided to do this candling thing I read so much about and surprise!! I have itty bitty babies growing! [​IMG]
    Now with my renewed hope, I've started doing extensive research and quiet frankly, it's scaring me to death! Everyone is talking about measuring egg sacks, blood rings, different humidity levels for different times of day, fresh air flow, lock downs....it's crazy!!! There are so many ways for me to screw up these little fellows! Right now I have the temp at 99.5 and the humidity is reading 63%. Please tell me what I need to do to keep these little ones growing. I don't need to be a professional at this, I just want this group to survive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Just follow the incubator instructions, and add some water to keep the humidity up. No worries, its no stress hatching chicks :) Works even better under a mama hen.

3. NewChickieFarm

Nov 8, 2015
    Falmouth, KY
    I wish I could get a hen to go broody! I tried all the suggestions I've read but apparently I have selfish girls who have no time for children lol.

4. h2oratt

h2oratt Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2015
    Morada, california
    Come join incubating with friends. There is a wealth of knowledge. I just did my first batch. Don't stress.

5. NewChickieFarm

Nov 8, 2015
    Falmouth, KY

6. NewChickieFarm

Nov 8, 2015
    Falmouth, KY
    [​IMG]

I have an external pip!! I'm so excited/scared/nervous!

Thanks for the suggestion of Incubating with Friends. I never posted on it but I spent hours reading information that helped a lot. Can't wait to see what the little ones look like!!

7. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    The first pip is so exciting, but anxiety inducing too! Two of my guineas pipped this morning and I can't wait to find out what color they are lol. I had one try to hatch two days ago (two days early) and it got its beak out and then died :( So my fingers are crossed for these, and for your chicks too! Good luck and keep us updated.

8. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    [​IMG] I'm excited for you! I hope you have a successful hatch!

9. NewChickieFarm

Nov 8, 2015
    Falmouth, KY
    Ok, so 12 hours later and chick #1 hasn't made much progress [​IMG]. Here is an updated picture (be advised, I changed the exposure of the pic so the crack would be more visible)
    [​IMG]

Is that normal? The zip looks like it's going the wrong way...or is that even enough of a crack to be considered a zip?

Meanwhile egg #2 has a hole!
    (Exposure changed on this pic as well)
    [​IMG]
    That was a nice surprise to come home to [​IMG].

I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight lol.

10. shawn54

shawn54 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    Hastings Pa
    I would not get worried about time taken keep humidity up so membrane doesn't dry out and things will be fine my first hatch had me calling my relatives to check eggs at hatch time second hatch was less stressful for meand my family first hatch took 2 days second 14 hours total. Be patient and you will be fine and good luck to you and your chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by