scared to let my babies out to range

missy1971

Songster
Dec 27, 2016
Harris County Georgia
i know i posted this on another thread but im posting here too...please let me know if im not suppose to!

Ever since my oldest (my baby girl) was killed a couple weeks ago, I have been dead set on not letting my other babies out of their run. I have 2 buffs that are about 12 weeks, who were used to foraging with my older one, and I also have 2 that are almost 8 weeks, and 5 that are right at 5 weeks. I would like for them to be out in the yard, I used to let them out when I was outside, which if I'm home is always! I guess because they are sometimes hard to round up, and since my Ginny got killed I am a nervous wreck to even let them out. I know that is not fair to them but I guess my anxiety and depression over losing my other baby has really got me scared. Do yall think I should let them out for a few hours a day and bust my butt to get them back in a couple of hours before dusk...or what...not sure how to handle this!
My oldest, the buffs, have sorta took over the mothering for the others, maybe that could help??

When you free range, you have to accept there will be losses to predators. If not, have a safe , secure run with top for them when they are outdoors. Plenty of chickens are never allowed to free range and live, happy, healthy chicken lives. I like to err on the side of caution. You can have elements of interest in the run. Bring in some real tree branches for them to roost on. Fix up a kiddie sandbox for them to dust bathe in. Now and then toss a shovel full of dirt in the run, and they will love picking through it.

When you free range, you have to accept there will be losses to predators. If not, have a safe , secure run with top for them when they are outdoors. Plenty of chickens are never allowed to free range and live, happy, healthy chicken lives. I like to err on the side of caution. You can have elements of interest in the run. Bring in some real tree branches for them to roost on. Fix up a kiddie sandbox for them to dust bathe in. Now and then toss a shovel full of dirt in the run, and they will love picking through it.
honestly I have a great space for them to range, its small and the older of my buffs know the limits, which im sure the younger ones would know since they seem to stay close to the coop and run, I guess I'm just a nervous nelly when it comes to them., I blame myself for Ginny, she was next to the coop, the door was wide enough for her to go in, but i was exausted and didnt pay attention for the first time in forever and i lost my baby girl! Im going to try to let them play around this week for a bit, but im going to be the hawk...lol...Ginny would pitch a fit if i didnt let her our asap! she was so spoiled

Back
Top Bottom