Scared w new hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by quiltinmoma, Jun 26, 2011.

1. quiltinmoma

quiltinmoma New Egg

Jun 14, 2011
    What I thought was moulting, since I"m new at this may not be after reading this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=40817&p=1

So, now I'm afraid that since my hens look like the pix on that thread, bare skinned, that they have something wrong with them!!! ACK! Just bought them today, too.

Thankfully, have quarantine area set up and ready for them. What I want to know is, will they recover? There were originally 400 hens, a year old and I bought 12 off her. Not pets, for sure. So, we need to tame these ladies up, gentle and give them lots of TLC!!!

Sigh. Off to clip wings so they won't fly away (only one, I know) and dust with DE powder before leaving them alone.

Joy

New moma to 6 barred rocks, 2 black aurps, 4 red stars(sexlinks) added to existing 13 hens I've had for a month.

2. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Sounds like you are doing everything right and have given the hens a good home. Just give lots of treats, lots of TLC, and treat with DE, or something stronger if you need to. I recently had to treat mine with Sevin, which I hated doing b/c I try to be organic as much as possible, but they were suffering and DE wasn't working. Good luck, I hope they bring you years of pleasure and tasty eggs!

3. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Also, try giving more protein to them, that seems to help them regain feathers faster. I've heard you can give cat food but never tried it myself.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by