Scared

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luv2snugl, Aug 31, 2016.

1. luv2snugl

luv2snugl Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2016
    Washington
    I have an egg in incubator and it's my very first egg. Yesterday was day 20 and I heard it chirp for the very first time. I only heard it the one time and I have not heard it since. Today is day 21 and I still hear nothing and I see no signs of it trying to break out. I'm so afraid that my little baby has died. Does anybody know if it can take longer than 21 days and if they stop with their little chirping before they come out of their shell. I made the mistake of bringing my for little granddaughters over to stay the night last night so they could watch the baby hatch. They are so excited and I don't want to break their little hearts. Does anybody have any good news for me please oh please oh please

2. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Welcome to BYC,

It can take longer than 21, how are your temp and humidity? what incubator are you using?
    What kind of egg?

3. luv2snugl

May 26, 2016
    Washington
    Thank you :) the incubator I have is the Little Giant... everytime I check the incubator over the last 3 weeks it's been at 99.5 degrees... the humidity's been at 68%... And I'm not sure what kind of chicken it is. I'm not sure what kind any of my chickens are to be honest. My hand that I bought I bought from an auction that was for Slaughter. It broke my heart to see that poor little hen up on that auction table. We also have three roosters that she has been in contact with. We have 5 other hens that we bought from a Farm Store but they are still too young to lay eggs. My little lucy is the only one laying eggs.

4. luv2snugl

May 26, 2016
    Washington
    The incubator I have is the Little Giant. The temperature has remained at a constant 99.5 and the humidity has been at 68% for the last few days. I'm not sure what kind of chicken she is We rescued her from a Slaughter auction. We have three roosters of which I don't know what two of them are but one of them is a silky. The roosters and hens were rescued from the slaughter auction.

5. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    did you calibrate your thermometer or your hygrometer?
    do you have heatsinks in the bottom? (rocks/pebbles) to help with temperature swings?
    has your humidity been the same the entire time?
    usually (dependent on breed and location) people run around 35% to d18, then go up to 65% at d19

6. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    We constantly run cross checks on our gauges.

7. luv2snugl

May 26, 2016
    Washington
    I have a humidity and temperature gauge inside the incubator as well as the one that comes on the outside of the incubator they both read the same except the inside humidity thingy says that the humidity is 1 - 2% higher than the gauge on the actual incubator itself. I just bumped it to 68% humidity 2 days ago. I think this chicken egg hatching is more stressful then my pregnancy days way back when

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  8. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    i can agree with that!

What was the humidity at before you upped it?

9. luv2snugl

May 26, 2016
    Washington
    The humidity was anywhere from 48 to 55 percent until 2 days ago.

10. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    have you checked the air cell or candled at all? with humidity that high it may not be large enough

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by