SCARED

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kiasha, Apr 2, 2015.

1. kiasha

kiasha New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    Louisiana
    My cousin is scared of our chickens..they are about two months old. She loved them when I first got them they were about two weeks old but then they started getting bigger and is trying to fly she is scared of them now .. when she sees us holding them you can tell she wants to to .. but every time she reaches for one they either flap there wings or start running how do I show her they are harmless I can I get her to hold them again and not be scared

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

How old is your cousin?

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Maybe have her start by just petting them while you hold them still? I'm not scared of my birds, but I don't like when they fly at me or flap when I pick them up. I've gotten (unintentionally) scratched pretty good from being landed on and I've taken some pretty rough wing slaps to the face from them flapping when I pick them up. I can kind of see where she's coming from...

4. kiasha

kiasha New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    Louisiana
    she is 16

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

x2 then if she is 16 (I was making sure of the age before giving advice because if she was 2 years old that would have been different advice, for example).

One thing you could do is wrap a chicken in a towel (old towel) and let her hold the chicken- with the face out of the towel. If you have your cousin tuck the chicken under her arm, that would even be better. This is kind of like mama hen to the chicken.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by