Scarlet fever anyone???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bkreugar, Apr 7, 2011.

1. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    ABout 21 days ago I got am itchy rash under my arms that spread down the sides of my torseo and then down my arms. After 5 days I gave in and went to my doc. I had increased my exercise and running in days/amount and intensity. But I also had a sore throat so scarlet fever occured to me.

I saw the Pysicians asst and she diagnosed infected road rash and said I had to change to dri wick fabric for my clothes as she said it was all the sweat that was the Problem. SO I changed my workout clothes, used powder as suggested. She gave me keflex as she thought it was infected. Also did a quick strep test which came back neg.

So I took the keflex, changed all she suggested. Sore throat went away rash got better but did not go away. Finished keflex a few days ago and yesterday/last nite rash/sore throat came back with a vengence.

SO I See the doctoe not the assistant today. She is perplexed as I have NO fever at all. I am tired, and feel crappy. She asks PA to look at it again this time and assistnat says it is WAY worse.

So they do another quick strep test which comes back negative. SO they do a throat swab and long strep test as well as a complete blood panel to test for scarlet fever titer and some other things> She puts me on Augmentin for the possible strep, gives me a prednisone shot for the itching . Tells me to come back monday to get test results and if I am not better I will go to dermatoligist.

SO I have taken 2 of the augmentin(antibiotic) and STILL my throat is killing me I feel crappy and I SOOOO itch.

SO I do give her credit she is working on it and covering her bases but she is NOT convinced it is scarlet fever. I have googled bunches and they all say I should have a fever with maybe headache and nausia. No headache, no fever, and just a bit queasy.

So I am stumped to but definitly feel crappy. DOc thinks MAYBE/probably it is strep (scarlett fever) but it was resistant to the keflex but it nocked it back some.

Anyone have any expereince with Scarlet fever I am 39 very healthy and workout 5/6 hours a week. Googling scarlett fever makes it out like it happens most often with kids.I didn;'t go today cuz of the itching/rash and I don;t think I'll be going tommorow either. Frustrated all the way round!!!

2. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Oh my that is terrible [​IMG]

I have never had Scarlett fever but I have heard that is some nasty stuff. Get plenty of rest hun.

3. bkreugar

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Thank you I truly appreciate the kind words!!! Thank you!

4. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    My sister had scarlet fever YEARS ago. I remember she had a fever, felt achy and her arms were pink and rashy all the way down to her hands. Then the palms of her hands peeled, like a sunburn. She was slightly delirious and I remember bringing her a glasses of iced tea all night! This was in the middle of summer. She was fine after a week, but it was really strange....

I hope you feel better soon and that's all it is! Many [​IMG]

5. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Hmmm... Did you mean to say that Strep and Scarlett fever are the same thing? I didnt know that....
    When I was 15, I got strep throat.... went to the free clinic and they said I had allergies... gave me saline nose spray and thats it [​IMG]
    I spent the first week miserable... the next two weeks unable to do anything but sleep... completely lost my voice for those two weeks, I couldnt make a sound... then the first day I was able to get up after that, I hear that the two others in the house (unrelated) who had just come down with similiar symptoms, were put on really strong antibiotics after being diagnosed with bad cases of strep... Thank you, free clinic [​IMG]

6. bkreugar

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Scarlett fever is a strain if strep that realeses endo toxins which cause the rash and the red mouth. Not every strep throat is scarlett fever but every scarlett fever IS strep. IT sucks and I am NOT looking forward to peeling skin!!!

7. c is 4 cochin

c is 4 cochin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    First, please get well soon.

I have taken augmentin before, and it took 3 days before I began to see some results. If you just started taking it today, give it more time. Don't stop taking it.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Not to scare you,..but..
    Thats how my dads cancer showed itsself...
    He had a itchy rash that he went to the doctors for severl times(for well over a year..),.... they said it was all different things...gave him pills and creams..it wouldnt go away.
    Finally he went to another doctor and they found out its actually cancer..Mycosis fungoids... its a blood cell cancer that manifests itself through rashes in the skin... and if its left to continue it can be bad as it can go into your lymps and organs and bones... (he's still getting testing, but they believe it may already be in his bones )

So... i'm just saying..IF the test doesnt come back as scarlet fever..and the rash continues... DONT just let them dismiss your concerns...

9. bkreugar

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Thank you red hen I wouldn't dismiss it, and I don;t think they would either but I am aware that they get to go home at the end of the day and ~I~ still have to deal with it.

C is for cochin, Yea 3 days would have me at monday and she said if I wasn;t better then they would send me on to dermatoligist and they would have all the test results back, They did do a complete blood panel and one thing they are testing for is Lupis and some other auto immune things, but I doubt it is anything as strange as that.

I had REALLY hoped that the prednisone shot would help with itching, but alas no so far it has not and I took 2 benedryl at 7. At the moment the pain in my thrat keeps me from sleeping , but gives me something other than just the itching to think about. Yea I am frustrated!

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG] I bet you are very frustrated..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by