Scary Bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Smitty's Farm, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    This incubator was my husband's grandfathers, so it's ancient. It's a Brower Model No. 11400-3 Article No. 845. Does anyone know anything about this brand? How do I even begin to clean it? Just thought I'd share a pic of it. I'd like to use it eventually, but maybe not for my first hatch. It's just so SCARY looking.

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of the inside lid

[​IMG]

Here's the bottom

[​IMG]

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I saw one of those on ebay! Sorry no info on them though

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks like it's in good shape. Replace the wafer and maybe insulate the outside with a blanket, and just get temps and humidity where it needs to be. Good to go!

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Wow. That looks in good shape. Have you plugged it in? All of the parts look to be replacable if they don't function properly. Good luck with it.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I bet it works great...I'd call Brower and give them the model number and ask what parts you can get for it...it's not scary looking at all!...lol
    Plug it in and try it.....I have an old Transparent Hen by Lyons that I know was made back in the 60s...I use it all the time and have 100% hatches from my own chickens...and just wipe it off with soap and water after a hatch, its built along the lines as yours but has a glass frame all the way around....I got new wafers for mine just incase the ones in it would need replaced....

6. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    It looks good! Dont worry about huting it when cleaning it it wont disenegrate like styro! Good old galvinized! Hey Tuffoldhen Do you have pictures of your transparent hen? I have never seen one of the old lyons before. Thanks!

7. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I don't have a pic brooster but maybe this weekend when DD gets here with her good camera she can take a few pics of it for me...its filled to the brim with light brahma eggs at the moment!...

I want to take pics of it anyway and show what I have great hatches with without using any wigglers or extra doo dads thrown in like even a turner!...

8. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Silkie: You make it sound sooo easy.

MissPrissy: I haven't fired it up yet. From the looks of it, I thought I'd burn the house down. Plus, I was holding off b/c my sister has a new one she offered me, but she hasn't had time to get it in the mail yet.

Tuffoldhen: I do have Brower's phone number and I'm going to call them tomorrow. You should post a pic of your old incubator if you have it. That's excellent that you get 100% hatch rate. Very impressive!

Ok, I think I'm going to plug it in. Wish me luck! [​IMG]

9. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Ok, I plugged it in.....no sparks.....nothing exploded! [​IMG]
    The light on the top of the lid is lite up. I can't believe that it still works. I have no idea how old it is.

Now what do I do? [​IMG] Do I need to put water in the moisture pan holder?

10. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You can but I would wait to see how it warms up first....Does it have a thermometer with it?...if not if you have one put it in and see what the temps do...this should take hours for them to really come up to what it needs to be...my lyons runs at 99.8....

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by