1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scary?? Chicken eating leaves of tomato plant

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Backyard Barb, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Backyard Barb

Backyard Barb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Brisbane
    I know the leave of a tomato plant are toxic to people and that chickens have more robust systems than humans. . . should be worried that our chickens have taken to snacking on the tomato leaves?

[​IMG]

2. Marshchick

Marshchick Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Marshfield, MA
    Only worry about it if they get sick I'd say. Mine ate poison ivy one day, they're fine. Deer eat tomato plants all the time and it doesn't bother them. I think they'll be fine but for your tomatos I'd put some cage around them otherwise you won't have any. [​IMG]

3. Backyard Barb

Backyard Barb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Brisbane
    The other question is will I find our eggs laden with nightshade?

We do have cages around the tomatoes, but the tomatoes have decided to get really big this year and they are sticking out all over the place.

4. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    You know mine have been nibbling on my tomatoe plant leaves for a coulpe of months and they are doing fine. I read to that they were toxic. Now that my tomatoe plants have just about dried up (the heat is too much) and not producing much they leave them alone. I was also afraid but they are happy healthy girls so I don't worry anymore. As far as the eggs IDK I haven't noticed anything different. Oh, and I also heard of some restaruants that serve tomatoe plants leaves. I don't know for what but that is what I've heard.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    Quote:I found this regarding chickens and tomato plants:

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
    Hi,

It's fine for your chickens to eat the fruits of tomato, but the leave contain a nasty toxin that can be harmful.

Tomato leaves are very bitter so you'll fine chicken won't touch them very often, once tasted they tend to leave them alone. Potato leaves are the same too, as tomato and potato plants are related.
    Source(s):
    Poultry farm manager.

This probably applies to most poisonous plants.

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I planted 23 LARGE tomato plants this spring.. and 20 medium sized pepper plants

my ducks and chickens ate every one down to the ground

no one died (except for the 23 tomato plants and 20 pepper plants.. may they rest in peace)

we still ate the eggs

1 person likes this.
  7. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

No one told my birds the leaves were very bitter and they would not touch them often.

[​IMG]

My girls will eat every tomato plant they can reach! And once they try a ripe tomato - no ripe tomatoes for you! [​IMG]

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

No one told mine that either!

9. rpenland

rpenland Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    Eastern Pennsylvenia
    This is the first I've heard of it, our chickens didn't get the memo. They've been eating them for months!

10. fowlo

fowlo New Egg

Mar 23, 2014
    hello backyard Barb,

My hens have snacked on tomato leaves over the years, and seem to have no ill effects....if they had no other greens then it may be a different story... all the best with your hens......Fowlo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by