1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scary moment today w/ roaming dogs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JennsPeeps, Feb 21, 2009.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Lately when I've worked in my front garden/yard I've been taking the girls out with me. I take everything I need out front to get set up, set up a cage for them, then take the 4 girls out, 2 at a time. I move them around every 30 mins or so to give them access to fresh worms, grass, and more. Since they've descimated my back yard, this has made them, and me, very happy. They're never more than about 10-15 feet away from me, if that.

Well, today we were out weeding when all of sudden 2 dogs ran up the street from nowhere. I jumped up, grabbed my hoe, and stood between them and the chooks. Luckily the dogs didn't even notice the girls, but it sure scared the bejeebies out of me. The cage they're in is not predator proof. I'm going to have DBF create a safer tractor for them.

The whole experience did, however, prove to me that I have it in me bean the beans out of any dog that came near my girls.

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    YES!!! BEAN those dogs!!!![​IMG]

Good for you!! You shouldn't have to stop living your life because of your neighbors lack of responsibility!!!

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Scary thing was that I'd never seen the dogs before. They ran up the block, ran around the corner, and I never saw/heard them again. I kept an eagle eye out for them, that's for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by