scary moment

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kesta, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    my brother in law is visiting us to escape hurricane gustav and his chow attacked the chickens and me!first me i was simply moving his food and he attacked my legs he scratched em up but didnt break skin and i got away pretty quick. he couldnt chase me because he was tied to a tree and i cleand off the scratching with some anti biotic ointment. then he also bit my moms hand for no good reason and bit her pretty bad. luckily shes a trained medical professional and was able to doctor herself. then maybe 20 minutes later he managed to break his collar and go after the chickens . they got away unscathed . that dog is now tied to the tree with a steel cable and got a good punch from my brother in law. he hasnt misbehaved since. if you are wondering yes the dog had all its shots

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Wow! I'm glad everything worked out... Sorry someone got bit. It makes helping someone out feel sort of bittersweet, doesn't it?

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Not trying to be a fly in the ointment, but do you think he's mean because of the punching?

4. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Scary!! I am glad no one got seriously hurt!

5. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    I am glad that everything/one is OK. I just want to point out that the dog is probably on edge because everyone else is on edge about the hurricane and strange living conditions. He is in a strange place and a strange person moved his food. I do not know the dog and how he has been trained/treated. I just wanted to point out that the dog is probably under at least as much stress as everyone else and should probably be treated as such.

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I was going to say that as well. The change wouldnt only be stressful for his owners.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by