Scary moments

M.J

Songster
12 Years
Apr 15, 2007
Maryland
i live on five and a half acres and have chickens, horses, dogs, and cats and other little critters. well one day a saw the horses fliping out running all over the place so i look up the feild at what there snorting at and its a pair of cyotes so stuped me goes running up the hill screaming my head off for the to go away and run. well need less to say cyotes are agressive creatures and one backed off but the other was not and only twenty feet away from me it seemed like hours be for it finaly backed down.
then i had a hawk come in getting my chickens i new something was coming in but didn't think it was a hawk until the day the hawk grabed one of my chickens in from my mom well my mom being a loving caring person new id be upset if it killed my chicken and attacked the hawk recueing my chickens and still being safe.
yes me and my mom are a pasionet bunch about are pets and don't think about taking action to protect them untill its over.
one more example when i was little my mom got a small podle to replace her old one well its first winter it decides to go down into the middle of the pond and fall threw the ice well with my crying on the bank my brother and his friend stund and screaming and my mom running down the hill full speed pushing my brothers friend to the side as he say "i dont think you should do that." and my mom then sailing in to the air crashing in to the pond breaking ice with her fists and finally reaching are dog pippie the pound puppy who was not a puppy and swimming back to land in freezing ice then still wet rushing are dog to a groomer to put it under heaters.
tell me your wild stories....................

There was a crazy giant skunk running amok in the DAYTIME and causing all of my animals to go haywire - especially the donkeys. They were less than pleased to see the striped menace wandering about. I chased him with a bucket and a stick *bang! bang! bang!* and he ended up spraying everything down, then crawled into a hole and never came out.

In Feb. I awoke at 4 a.m. to what sounded like a bunch of hyenas in the yard (weird yipping noises). The dogs were lunging at the windows, barking up a storm, so I turned on the porch light and opened the door to see about 20 pairs of eyes staring at me. Stupidly, I ran outside and saw the biggest pack of coyotes in the world all standing in my front yard, eyeing the back fence and making those scary noises. So I let the dogs out, ran inside for my trusty old bucket and stick and ran back outside. There was a big skirmish between the dogs and coyotes with me outside hollering and banging on the bucket and eventually, the coyotes slinked off, I did a head count on all the animals (the chickens were very upset that I barged into the coop and woke them up by jerking on the light) and then I drank about 5 gallons of tea to calm down.

We have hawks, but they've not once even attempted to get our chickens (knock on wood) and I had an incident about this time last year with a tiny oppossum that almost wiped out my entire flock (12 chickens in one night, absolutely mutilated beyond belief - heads everywhere). He got 22 in all over a course of 3 days, until I chased him with leashed dogs for half a day. I don't know what became of him, but he never came back. DH wanted me to let the dogs kill him, but I just couldn't do it.

Our pyrenees mix is always bringing dead badgers home, which makes me very sad - a friend of mine takes the bodies and cleans the bones and reconstructs them, so he's happy. And DH is happy because we have little to no predator activity lately. Poor badgers!

I've got a dozen more crazy stories (I should start my own t.v. show called "Farm Life is Killing Me") but I'm not going to hog the thread anymore than I already have! ~ Oaknim

Back
Top Bottom