1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scary morning

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Cock-L-Doodle Garoo, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Cock-L-Doodle Garoo

Cock-L-Doodle Garoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Texas Hill Country
    A couple of weeks ago I went out in the morning to go inside the chicken run before the flock was let out. Took a couple of steps and notice something in the corner of my eye...Holy Moly...I knew this short stocky triangle head serpant wasn't the typical rat snake. The cottonmouths are highly venomous and I'm lucky he didn't hit me. I couldn't believe this water snake came up to the top of the hill I live on. There's no running stream waters for miles and only a couple of cattle tanks that are over half a mile away. This Texas drought has got the critters on the move. I've never seen these conitions like this before. There has been just a little over 2 inches of rain here since Feburary.

[​IMG]

2. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Yikes! I sure wouldn't have wanted to run into that in my chicken run. I'm sure all the critters are challenged by the drought - I can't even begin to imagine how bad it must be. Here's wishing rain your way.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH EWW! You killed it good! [​IMG]

Glad you weren't hurt!

4. Papa Rooster

Papa Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2010
    god what did u do to it? theres like 4 blood marks

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    You are lucky. The moccasins are worse than the copperheads. We use to have those things fall in our boat when I was a child. Talk about getting children antsy. We got into some tight spot fishing back then. They'll will get your attention.

Good job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by