Scary sad trip to TSC today!!!

luvmychicknkids

Canning Squirrel
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Floresville, Texas
I had to go buy baby chickie food. Of course we were eager to check out the babies if they had any (we because my youngest son was home sick from school). We go to look and all the brooders were full (4 of them...3 with chicks 1 with ducks). At first I just see fuzzy babies bouncing around then notice some lying on the bottom. I look closer and there were a BUNCH in every brooder (except the ducks) that looked either dead or close to it. I picked one up and realized it was bleeding from the nostrils. I checked and all the dead were too, and most of the ones walking around. I found a manager and told him.....he had no clue anything was wrong with them yet. I am not blaming TSC at all, the babies were clean and had plenty of fresh food and clean water. I am assuming this came on pretty sudden. I was just so sad afterward. I then soaked myself from head to toe in alcohol gel and scrubbed well before touching anything else.

Now, a question. I did buy chickie food. I left it in the trunk of my car. Do you think I should dump it in something else outside and burn the bag? I am really freaked out and do NOT want to bring something home to my babies!!!!!

It is the paper kind.
sad.png

I don't think it could hurt to dump it. Always err on the side of caution. Did you change your clothes before handling your babies?

I would take a rag with a little clorox on it and wipe the outside down. I can understand caution, but the feed inside should be OK right?

I would just wipe it down with a little diluted rubbing alcohol.
I wouldn't waste the whole bag though
hmm.png

Maybe just put it In a different container

And I know how you feel about dead chicks.It seems like my tsc and feed store just doesn't seem to check the brooders often because I always find dead ones
hmm.png

Hmm, I have no idea. Maybe you could research the symptoms of the dead chicks and figure out if it was the feed. If you bought dumor I wouldnt think anything would be wrong. I buy it all the time.

Oh, I am not worried about the food being bad....they were out a couple of days ago so I know this is a fresh supply and it is really all my babies like (they tend to eat very light if I buy anywhere else). I was really thinking I should take the old, almost empty bag, and pour this food in it as opposed to bringing a possibly contaminated bag inside. Yes, it is Dumor and I have never had a food issue.

Actually, the staff at our TSC seem really good. They seem to check the babies often, I have NEVER seen a dead one before now. It was obviously something VERY deadly and apparently contagious....or at least it had infected the entire shipment.

Back
Top Bottom