SCARY STORY

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by one cool chick, Jan 17, 2009.

1. one cool chick

one cool chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    USA
    my dad was outside and heard a hawk. About 5 minutes later a hawk a appeared at my chickens run door. All the chickens were safely shut in the run and the leader chicken (Dixie) was at the inside run door and bowking up a storm at the hawk. the hawk was pecking at the door and wanted to get in badly. TRUST ME IT IS A TRUE STORY. it happened today!!!!!!!!!!!! very scary for a chicken loving person. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. Yikes... Is your run secure?

3. one cool chick

Oct 25, 2008
    USA
    yes it is very secure. my mom and dad worked for hours on it.

4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Hurrah for Dixie, Mom and Dad! That IS scary!

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

hi there one cool chick. I do believe you. Just last Christmas, 2007, we had a pet Quaker Parrot which we let out on our deck to sun with her cage, her wings were clipped so she couldn't fly away. She had been doing this for over 1 year. Well, Christmas day a hawk came and ate her!! I live in s. Florida, in the city, and we do have hawks here. Believe me, I was so devistated:th. [​IMG] I've also seen them fly by when my hens were small. Thank God that hasn't happened again. Keep a watch out and your babies close.

6. one cool chick

Oct 25, 2008
    USA
    my mom went out to check them. and 5 out of 6 have chunks out of there combs were the beak meats the comb. poor babies huh i guess that all almost all of them were pecking at the hawk. thank god that my dad had just shut the run gate otherwise the hawk would have eaten the chickens. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Padre

Padre Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Good going on the secure run!!! Take some blank cds and hang them around in the run, they will twinkle in the sunlight and confuse the hawk. Hope this helps.

8. one cool chick

Oct 25, 2008
    USA
    my dad has done that before to keep the deer from eating his garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by