1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scary times during a storm

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CityFolk, Apr 26, 2009.

1. CityFolk

CityFolk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    There was a thunderstorm this afternoon and about the time the rain started coming down I was getting worried about my 3.5 week old reds. I put my swim suit on and ran out there and they did not want to get out from under the coop so it took me 10 minutes to get them inside. The thunder got real loud and close the rain real hard. Being next to the metal chickenwire fence was scary! In any event I got them in and the door closed so they could dry off under the lamp.

Any idea on how old the chicks need to be to learn to go into the coop on their own at night or during the rain?

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Some chickens like the rain. [​IMG]

3. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    My chickens love to stand out in the rain [​IMG] I figure as long as they're not looking up, let them be [​IMG]

4. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    they did not want to get out from under the coop

Maybe that's where they'll go during the rain. Isn't kinda dry under there?
    I have a similar question - what do you do during very severe weather? Tornados, hurricanes, and storms that can blow away your coop.​

5. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    I cant get past you running around in your bathing suit chasing chicks..... [​IMG]

How cute it that!!!!

I'm going to have to try that next time...

I'm scrambling for a ball cap...and if it's raining really hard a rain poncho..

I need to have my bathing suit handy,,,makes sense to me. [​IMG]

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] CityFolk!

If it's warm enough for the chicks to be outdoors and dry under the coop even during a rainstorm, they *should* be all right on their own. I keep chicks that young outdoors during the day, but we're in SE Florida so it's always warm. And I have their little pens covered to shed the rain, so they'll stay dry in a storm.

But if your weather is cool or your accomodations not weather-proof, then perhaps your chicks should be kept in a brooder box until they get more feathers.

Otherwise, keep a closer eye on the weather conditions so you can bring the chicks in before the next storm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by