SCARY !!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Lunachick, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    You couldn't pay me to swim in the ocean in Australia! This is very common there. It seems like at least every other week some surfer, swimmer, or kayaker is having a run in with a great white.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I used to live in Florida. There is a reason why i only swim in rectangular or kidney shaped bodies of water. Sharks and gators are not the smartest animals. THey go for the when in doubt bite . I rememer the summer when we lost three tourists to gator attacks.

4. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Quote:We were in Fla one year and were taking a tour in Jonathan Dickinson State Park and a boy scout troup was there canoeing. The kids got out to push the canoe over a sandbar and one lone 11 ft gator went for the scout leaders 8 yr old kid. Bit him in the head and dragged him down and away.

The poor dad went in after the gator, and with a little help from another adult snagged the gator and brought the boy up. But the kid had huge holes in his head and died there.

They are always warning people - don't feed those gators. They associate people with food.

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh Florida Gators are indeed bad...they view humans as a potential food source. They are a pre-historic machine meant for killing and surviving.

Sharks on the other hand do not like the taste of human and most often bite and let go or are easily forced to let go. They bite most often by mistake or to send the human away. Bull sharks are notorious for being aggressively territorial.

Look at the number of gators in Florida...most often those who are attacking are not paying attention and are doing things they should not be doing. Sad but reality is...more people die each year from car accients that from animal attacks.

6. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:We were in Fla one year and were taking a tour in Jonathan Dickinson State Park and a boy scout troup was there canoeing. The kids got out to push the canoe over a sandbar and one lone 11 ft gator went for the scout leaders 8 yr old kid. Bit him in the head and dragged him down and away.

The poor dad went in after the gator, and with a little help from another adult snagged the gator and brought the boy up. But the kid had huge holes in his head and died there.

They are always warning people - don't feed those gators. They associate people with food.

Martin County, Florida - June 19th 1993, Bradley Weidenhamer a 10 year old male was killed an 11'4" alligator while wading in the Loxahatchee River in Jonathan Dickinson State Park at 6:00 in the evening. you mean this child right? Florida has plenty of animals dangerous to humans. People invate their space allover the US and wonder why the get attacked. You build in the swamp or in the wild you will get attacked be it by a bear, gator, large snake, wolf or cougar.....

7. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Nope can't swim......

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I can swim, I just prefer a pool or a fresh water lake where the biggest thing the will bite you is a trout.

9. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:in Florida there is a gator in virtual every freshwater lake.

10. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    WHen I was a kid we use to go swimming all the time in the Chattahoochee river. I wouldnt do it now, there are gators all over the place, let alone the water moccasins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by