Sceptic System?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rancher hicks, Jun 14, 2010.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    We have a sceptic system here and with all the rain it's flooded. Not to mention when my family does wash which is alot. Anyone here have a sceptic system?
    I've had it pumped twice in three years. The last guy said to fill in with some gravely soil, which I intend to do.
    Has anyone here had a sceptic problem and what did you do about it?

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

We have a septic system with 3 tanks and a sand mound. We have the tanks pumped every couple of years and have never had any problems with the tanks flooding due to rain.

I don't know why you would fill the septic system with gravel. [​IMG]

3. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I have septic and my washer does not empty into it. It goes into a dry well because there is never anything but water running through it. You can also capture your washer runoff and use it in your garden if you don't ever use chlorine bleach. One place we had, we just ran the pipe out to the yard and let it water the lawn. But there is no reason to run all that extra water through your septic system if you do not use bleach.

Rusty

edited to add that we have heavy clay soil, so we have a substantial leach field and it was built using gravel. Basically it helps the system handle all the water that the clay soil cannot absorb. Had the same thing in Florida, only there it was because the water table is so high.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  4. fosterchick

fosterchick Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a sceptic system here. My washer runs through it. In my state it is the law. we have had water issues with the leach field part of it. I had to replace it about 5 years ago. So when we did that I also replaced the Sceptic tank. I not had any issues since we fixed it.

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    We live in an old house. We have a septic system for our bathroom. (sink, tolet, shower) The area is very sandy and the water drains very fast. If it rains for days at a time, which it does in Winter, our water will not drain away. Water just stands in the sink, shower and the pot wont flush. We had our system pumped and the lid replaced. It was cracked. That helped alot. But it will still happen about once a year. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  6. rnoyster

rnoyster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    If you have a septic tank, eventually you will have the occasion that nothing runs into it due to the soil being as full of water as it can hold! This is part of life (unless you live in a desert that has sand everywhere and it is 50' deep!). Some places allow grey water (washing machine) to be run outside without going through the tank while others don't allow it. Check with you officials in your area. If they say grey water can be used to water you yard/garden, it is easily diverted from the main sewer of your house and then you just run it out in a 2" pvc pipe to a spot, usually a ditch in your yard. (but away from you field lines)

7. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    If I remember right, we run a two-sceptic tank system. (I know there's two tanks)

Then the second tank runs into a gravel filled pit. That black curly hose that has holes
    in itis curled up in the gravel. Seems like that pit was pretty deep. Then any runoff goes
    into the leach bed.

Eleven years ago, no problems. Has been pumped twice.

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Maybe the gravel for the leach field?

We have a aerator system with an open sand pit.I think we have a pre and post tank. I had issues with the yard flooding and the water would flood the tanks.Alarm goes off letting me know the motor is under water. I added risers,about 5-6,and topsoil to prevent the water from flooding.I also had issues with the water in the sandpit not draining.I rake that often,and so far so good.Even get a few frogs in there taking care of skeeters.I have the tank pumped every 2-3 years. Our system is 5 years old.

All neighbors have older 30+year old systems that are completely underground.I think some pump,but I know my immediate neighbor has not pumped his in 8 or 9 years.
    You would think the years of waste would back up,but it is going somewhere in the yard...hopefully not mine! Around here unless someone complains the sanitary engineers will not inspect unless you sell your house.

I limit water usage in the home during heavy rains since everything goes to the septic.

I don't mind it to much,but do wish for public sewer at times even though I hear they charge a lot for service.

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Our property is near a creek and you would think they'd put a sewer line through to us as we're next to the nearest house closest to the creek.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Your tank may not be large enough for your uses, the leach field may not be spread out enough. I am pretty sure that there are going to be codes that disallow being located uphill of hte creek and within a certain distance of it.

We have septic and have never had it pumped in the 11.5 years we've lived here; the previous owners never pumped it either, and they were here 25 years. It was pumped when we bought the house. And we have never had issues with backup or flooding from it. A neighbor had to put in a new system within the first year after they bought their house--it kept backing up. I think tree roots may have been part of their problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by