Sceptic work?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by rancher hicks, Dec 5, 2010.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Has anyone here every had sceptic work done? If so what have you had done? Did you run into any problems? If so what problems?
    We have to have sceptic work done and need some advice.

2. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Our leach bed as been a pain in the rear since we moved into our new house.

It was supposed to be two fields that we could switch from time to time, since each side was supposedly able to handle the full load individually. They couldn't and we would end up with nasty wet spots after about 2 weeks of flipping to the new side. Finally this summer, I took the "splitter" out so we are using both sides simultaneously.

The pipe from the foundation to the collection tank was not attached/secured properly and discconnected, dumping liquid directly over the footer drain, which is tied into the drains in the basement. [​IMG]

Further inspection shows the actual field is short 30 linear feet from code, but the inspector signed off anyways.

Routine pumping of the system helps (we do it every 3 years) .

Depending on what problems you're having, using someone who knows and understanding local codes should save you some headaches.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  3. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's been a while since we had it done, but we had to have a new field put in. I opted for (4) 75' runs, even though that was a bit more than we actually needed. A larger field should last a much longer time.

We also have our septic tank pumped about every 4 years or so. That's good insurance against getting the field in bad shape. If you don't have it pumped, the solids will run into the field, plugging it up. Then you'll run into much more cost and have your property torn up badly.

Ed

4. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    We had to run new drain tile from our septic tank this year before the inspector would sign off on the new house.
    The drain pipe running from the trailer house; where the new house now sits; it was PVC and cast pipe. until you got outside of the foundation wall and it is clay pipe.
    Had the plumber run a camera down the line and there were no breaks or other problems.
    The part we took out had been the trouble at the trailer house all along.

We are talking about replacing the septic tank in maybe 6 years. We have no idea when the present one was put in.

5. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    We have lived in this house for 4 years and had it pumped out 3 times. Last November and this past November. I have had two guys here and they want to put in four more 50' lines. The leach field is a pool and over flows the yard. I hate it. It doesn't drain properly. We have a 4 bedroom house and while I'll agree it gets alot of use this is unacceptable as my chickens yard is the area for the leach field. This past summer I had it surrounded by fencing to keep the birds out.

Our yard is a good foot higher than my neighbors and they don't have this problem. Though there are only two of them.

6. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Quote:Could there be a problem with the lines being crushed somewhere? The neighbors had some major landscaping done and the dump truck driving over their leach bed crushed several lines which led to a pool as you described. They just had the damaged section repaired. Both our house and their's are four bedrooms, too, BTW.

The other factor we have to deal with is the fact that the soil is mostly clay and the pipe trenches really should have been deeper and widers, IMHO.

Believe me, I *know* how frustrating it is.

7. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    First off, depends on what problem you're having with your septic system.

A simple pumping of your tank does wonders if it's full. I've got a man that
    pumps ours at $75.00 a throw. Another local company is in the $300 range.

Since I put my own tank in, I did it to suit myself. Came out of the septic tank
    six foot, dug a big deep hole, probably 15 foot, curled a 50 foot section of
    perferated black pipe and filled it with about 25 ton of river run. Slow process
    to fill the hole and spiral the pipe by hand.

Halfway up the hole, still a few feet under ground level, the pipe runs out to
    a mini leechbed about 75 foot or so. Still the perferated pipe, two foot of river run
    on the low side of the pipe.

No problems yet, but I do have the tank pumped every other year.

The majority of our waste water ends up in the fifteen foot hole. Very little seems
    to make it to the end of the pipe.

But as someone said...be careful of letting heavy equipment run over the pipes. And
    as always, be known that roots will seek out your pipe.

8. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    It never occurred to me that the pipes maybe crushed. We've had the tank pumped out 3 out of 4 years. Things do dry up when it's hot and in the 90's. To have it pumped this time it was $303.00 last Nov, same company $243. I had a fit. I will remember to have them uncover the old pipe and check that. The leach field is always a pool of water and over flows the field.

Now I've got a guy who says he can do the work this month, but we just got a load of snow. Does that sound right?

I'm also going to have him dig a small pond that will fill naturally, and run some drainage tile along the side of our yard to the woods, which slant and flow to the creek that borders our property. He wants to use 4" perforated piping should I request bigger? I need to have this done right the first time.

9. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:How old is your septic system?

If the people who lived in the house before you were not good about having the system pumped out, then it's possible that solids have gotten into your leach field and plugged it up. If that's the case, nothing short of putting in a new system is going to solve your problem.

Also, if heavy vehicles have been driving across it, the pipes may be crushed.

I don't know what the regulations are in NY, but here in MN any new septic system must be designed by a certified installer and approved by the county you live in, before it's installed, and inspected by the county afterward. Seems like a PITA but it saves a lot of headaches - like the one you're having - down the road.

Also, it's worth mentioning that if you have your septic pumped now or have a new one installed and don't get a good snow cover, your septic system is more likely to freeze this winter. You might want to mulch it with some hay or straw to be on the safe side.

Good luck, septic problems stink - literally!

10. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:How old is your septic system?

If the people who lived in the house before you were not good about having the system pumped out, then it's possible that solids have gotten into your leach field and plugged it up. If that's the case, nothing short of putting in a new system is going to solve your problem.

Also, if heavy vehicles have been driving across it, the pipes may be crushed.

I don't know what the regulations are in NY, but here in MN any new septic system must be designed by a certified installer and approved by the county you live in, before it's installed, and inspected by the county afterward. Seems like a PITA but it saves a lot of headaches - like the one you're having - down the road.

Also, it's worth mentioning that if you have your septic pumped now or have a new one installed and don't get a good snow cover, your septic system is more likely to freeze this winter. You might want to mulch it with some hay or straw to be on the safe side.

Good luck, septic problems stink - literally!

The tank looks relatively new and we've only lived in the house for 4 years. At that time the house was vacant. The previous owner bought it and fixed it up real nice. Maybe not the sceptic system. I don't believe it's in an area where heavy vehichles have driven acrossed it but I never thought about crushed lines.

I will look into regulations and check with the town to find out what I can about what and when it was installed. I will also look into having the old lines dug up and checked or replaced.

Once again BYC has come to my assistance.

Rancher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by