Schedule Pig Butchering...1 - 2 month wait

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by boilerjoe_96, Aug 27, 2008.

1. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Wow did I get a wake up today....

My two little(well not so anymore) piggies are nearing the end... So I call the Butcher today for an appt... Oct 15... so I called another... Oct 28...and another and another and... all the same story.

Got anywhere from 10/1 - 11/1. I had no idea. My piggies are ready now, I was hoping for next week or the following at the latest...

Now I have to feed them for another month. So please learn from my mistake. Call your local butcher early and get on the schedule. These are first pigs I have raised for butcher, so i had no idea....

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    this is prime butchering time. Now thru late fall. My family has had their own butchering room for years and it sure is a family afair when time comes for hog and deer. Look at the wait as more hog for the money [​IMG]

3. ChevygirlBeth

ChevygirlBeth Chillin' With My Peeps

It's like that around here, too! I generally try to call and schedule my appointments about the same time as I get the feeder pigs just to make sure I can get them butchered on time! The butcher shop we use is busy pretty much year round, so we have to schedule way ahead for our beef, too.

Every once in a while most places end up with a last minute cancellation and you can get in earlier, though. You might want to let whichever one you scheduled with know that you'd be willing to be on call for any cancellations! [​IMG]

4. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    It's time for a byc potluck bbq

5. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Quote:No doubt... My larger of the two might eclipse 300lbs in another month... He is BIG!!!

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Take it as a sign of a good butcher shop. If they are not busy this time of year I would wonder why.

7. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    i dibs bringing the soda

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I guess I was lucky. My DH had me call over a month ago and we got our date Sept 4th. They actually aren't quite ready, but these were a learning experience and we got them too small and then they got sick, so they had a slow start. We've got to butcher them now though, to make room for round 2 and get on schedule with our friends so we can find pigs and get feed cheaper if we spilt it.

9. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Thank you for the info!! We are raising our first pigs for butchering, too, and had no idea we needed to call early. Thanks to you my dh will contact them this week and find out the info. I told him if they weren't busy, not to bother. ha ha So glad you posted this.

10. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    It is a wait on turkeys out here. Don't know what I'm gonna do except get a bigger oven [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by