1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

scheduled to lay in LATE FALL..will I have to waut til Spring?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickie<3, Jul 7, 2010.

1. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chirping

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    My chicks were hatched on June 2...so they should start laying in 24 weeks which puts us in October November in NY...will I have to wait until spring? Is it true they don't lay when it's cold out?

2. melodylee

melodylee Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    Arkansas
    Mine didn't wait, they always had a heat light I'm not sure if that helped probably depends on your weather...I was trudging through snow to collect eggs last winter and still got eggs [​IMG]

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It's not the cold, it's the decrease in daylight. I got eggs all winter with no extra light, but production increased a lot with the longer days of Spring. I like to give the girls a break and stick with the natural cycle but many people add a light to their coops to simulate a 14 hour day and keep the girls at or near peak production.

4. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chirping

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    YAYYYYYY!!!! My first 2 chickens and and anxiously anticipating my first eggs.

5. NewHen

NewHen Songster

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    My oldest chicks are from late March and we got our first egg today! Totally, wasn't expecting it! Still, we plan to use the coop light in the winter...

6. JMPE

JMPE Songster

Aug 1, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    My chicks were born last August and we started seeing eggs in December and January (in Wisconsin).

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Depends somewhat upon the breed, but you should get eggs late Autumn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by