Schmalz Experience Around Here? (Chicken Fat)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Maeschak, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Maeschak

Maeschak Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Can you make Schmaltz with the skin or just the internal fat? (Or a combo?)

I have a few boys to butcher and am trying to decide whether it is worth the trouble to scald and pluck them so I can make schmaltz with the skin or just to skin them. I am going to can these boys so I do not need the skin otherwise.

Thanks!

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it's usually made using fat and skin (the "cracklins" are called gribenes). There's a thread that you may find helpful here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1140873/talk-to-me-about-chicken-fat.

3. Maeschak

Mar 29, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Thanks so much, I have read that thread... I am wondering if the majority of the fat for the schmaltz can be the skin. (I have very little internal fat saved up!)

4. FoodFreedomNow

Did you try making it?

5. Maeschak

Mar 29, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Oddly enough I did... I think I pulled out a container of Turkey fat and not chicken fat though! It smells a bit weird- but seems to have turned out fine, except for it being at least mostly turkey fat. I butchered 4 chickens the other day and will try again using what I know is chicken skin!

6. FoodFreedomNow

Interesting! I imagine you'd just use the turkey "schmaltz" the way you'd use chicken...is there a noticeable flavor difference?

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Anything on the chicken that holds fat stores~skin included~can yield good fat for schmaltz. I skin my chickens but still manage to get enough fat from them to make a goodly amount of schmaltz each year.....I've got three bags of this in my freezer right now. When I need to use some, I just break off a piece and put it in whatever recipe I'm making.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  8. FoodFreedomNow

Nice! :thumbsup

9. Maeschak

Mar 29, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Sure does look nice! I have 6 chickens in the freezer now that I have to thaw so that I can try my hand at canning the meat. Ill skin the 6 and add those skins to about a pound of 'other' type of chicken fat that I to try making some schmaltz... Probably won't get much but I am eager to give it a try.

And I haven't tried the turkey schmaltz yet, but I will give it a go sometime soon!

10. FoodFreedomNow

I have canning meat on my "to try" list, too, but need to pick up a pressure cooker first. lol I process more rabbits than chickens, though...and not much fat on rabbit. [​IMG]

Best of luck with your canning adventure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by