SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2011

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by fuzziebutt, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    You should know that by today's standards none of us were supposed to ever make it.

SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2011

Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2011 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2011 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it .

Scenario 3:

Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.

1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2011 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The family gets extra money (SSI) from the government because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2011 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse, Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock .

2011 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college

2011 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:

Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.

1957 - Ants die.

2011 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents - and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:

Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 – In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2011 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

Wonder what's next?

2. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

A prime reason to homeschool. Just sayin'.
    Wow, what a contrast. That is awful.

3. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Unfortunately too accurate. Particularly #1. [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    :lol:Soooo true!

5. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Whoo...that is awful. I heard a story on the news where a kid (under ten y.o.) brought a plastic fork/knife to school to eat his lunch with. Teacher calls the police, it get's on the news, yaddy yadda..... [​IMG]

6. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Hummm is that all? Ohh i bet there is more [​IMG] can't have any good fun anymore [​IMG]

7. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Wow, that is a pretty extreme comparison.

You forgot to add
    1957: segregation

2011: desegregated

1957: belinda gets pregnant forced to quit school and hide in shame or marry a boy to save face

2011: belinda gets pregnant, continues schooling, works through college and can choose whether or not she marry's the still childlike boy or live her life.

1957: autistic child is austrisized, beaten up and told to act better

2011: autistic child is diagnosed and given a curriculum he/she understands while given protection from bullying

1957: School bully beats kids up every day. boys will be boys

2011: School refuses to tolerate bullying.

1957: Native kid is often referred to injun and sent to an Indian school, forced to cut his hair, denied the right to speak his language or practice his religion, instead of being allowed to learn in class with the other children

2011: Indian schools abolished, (as defined in 1957), native children given right to their religion and language.

1957: McCarthyism

2011: unfortunately still remnants of that era

1957: girls in home ec boy's in shop, no exceptions

2011: each child allowed to attend what ever career oriented class they want no matter their gender

1957: A Hindu child is violently beaten and called a devil worshiper.

2011: Equal religious rights in schools

8. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    double post

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  9. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    I took reloading in college in 1987 or 88. It was a college in ND. [​IMG]

Went back to take some more classes this past year at a community college here in IL. The counselor looks at my transcript and asks "Reloading?? Is that what I think it is?"
    I answer, "Yes, we made live ammunition in class."
    She pales a bit and shakes her head slightly. I'm sure that put me on a list somewhere.

Just one of many lists I'm on, I'm sure. [​IMG]

10. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by