School Bus - Chicken Tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by aircamp, Apr 7, 2009.

1. aircamp

aircamp New Egg

Apr 7, 2009
    I am considering converting an old school bus that I have into a "chicken tractor". I would be interested in hearing comments of the opportunity or folly of this approach.

Thanks,
    Tom

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Can you post some pics of your raw materials?

3. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I can see a bus being used as a chicken coop but cant envision the tractor part of it. Were you going to drag a fenced in run under the bus?

(gives a whole new meaning to getting "thrown under the bus" [​IMG] )

4. Rogue Rooster

Rogue Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2009
    Rogue River Oregon
    Sounds like a "Red Green" project to me. I can't wait to see this:weee:D Duct Tape Lots of Duct Tape:lau:lol:

5. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess I should have asked what do you mean by "old bus". Is it old, or really old? If it's really, really old and restorable we may be able to work out a deal and you'll have enough money to build one heck of a lightweight tractor and coop.

Take some pics!

6. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
  7. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Interesting, I know I've seen some video on Utube of a guy that built one out of a camper but I dont think it was moveable. Does the bus run? How would you move it if it didnt?
    I think I've seen others post about an rv coop too.

Good luck!

Nancy

8. aircamp

aircamp New Egg

Apr 7, 2009
    WOW !!
    Thanks for your thoughts and questions. Let me expand on the school bus / chicken bus / chicken tractor concept.
    I have a former military 25 passenger (shortie) school type bus with a nice little 327 engine, manual trans etc. It runs and is simi-street legal (no tags).
    My farm is 26 acres of irrigated, fenced, level pasture.
    My plan was to remove the seats from the bus, install perches and nest boxes, put a plywood wall up to seperate the drivers area and a drop down ramp out the back door.
    Then...I would drop the ramp during the day and let the chicks roam and close it up at night. When they had done their business in one area, I would start the bus, drive it 100 feet forward and start the process again.

Why? Glad you asked. I own the bus. It was cheap. I can complete the project for $500 give or take and I would have housing for 100 birds easy.

Question: Has anyone already done this? Does it sound reasonable?

Thanks again.

9. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I say GO FOR IT!!!!

10. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I see no reason not to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by