school buying incubator - point in some direction please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TLWR, Mar 15, 2012.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Ok - I have no clue what we are looking for other than it needs to have an egg turner so we don't have to go into school several times a day on the weekends.

The cheaper the better.
    Doesn't have to hold tons, will be used for a round of chicken and duck eggs for April. Then maybe we'll do something each year. So it isn't getting lots of use.

Any suggestions? Local pickup would be nice, but I can order online and get reimbursed as well.

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    If you want to get something that is really easy for the kids to see inside, is really simple to operate, and has a really high success rate, I would suggest the Brinsea Mini Advance. I have one and call it the "crockpot of incubators". Once you get things set, you just leave it alone, other than to add a little bit of water every few days.

http://www.brinsea.com/prod-Mini_Advance_fully_digital_7_egg_incubator-230.aspx

I've heard good things about the little giant. However, you don't get quite as good visibility. It will hold more eggs though.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-Advanced-Incubator-Combo/dp/B004XNMGQ6

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Oh, one other suggestion.

I've heard that local 4H groups will sometimes lend incubators to schools free of charge.

Also, you could also ask around at school- odds are good that someone at the school has an incubator and would be willing to help out.

I know that I personally am doing hatches at three different schools this spring with my little mini advance.

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Check with all the parents at school (it's a private preschool) and nobody has one.

I can get a little giant at TSC. Looking at HovaBator as well which seems to price out a bit higher.
    I have the number for our local extension and will call them as well.

5. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I would go with Brinsea ECO 20 with turner. It hold 24 eggs and very easy to clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by