1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

School fundraisers??

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by chicks4kids, Sep 11, 2009.

1. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    School fundraisers?? Really?? The first thing I ask my daughter is "do you get something if you sell anything?" Her reply is "no-we get put in a drawing to win something" Come on!!!!

Back in my day, whoa, everyone always got "something" for their efforts, even it was a cheesy keychain!! Now it's just your name in a drawing-cross your fingers sweeties and things are twice as expensive!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

It's just aggravating...she runs around selling to EVERYBODY we know, and she never gets anything. Seriously....what kind of work should go unrewarded??? A work that gets the school a percentage?? Kids don't get that. And she's always upset when her name doesn't get drawn.

Just ranting.. Sorry....[​IMG]

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Im feeling what you are saying,...I don't even let my kids mess with the nonsense anymore. Its all a big joke.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    What's aggravating is that there these school fundraisers are so routine in both public and private schools. Why aren't funds budgeted more wisely so that the students' basic needs are met? Even during these tough economic times I believe the funds could be better allocated, there is much too much waste!

I can see the need for fundraising events for special circumstances, such as if the school was damaged in a storm, or for special groups like if the band is invited to the Rose Bowl. But why these school-wide general fundraisers just to supply the school's everyday needs?

And if funds needed to be raised, why employ these cheesy professional companies that get to earn a profit from our children's labor? Why not raise funds that go 100% back to the school through rummage & bake sales, service work like car washes, or student-made crafts?

I hated doing sales as a child & determined to always buy from other kids when I was grown. Especially from my neighbors' kids that I know. But I really don't like buying $5 rolls of wrapping paper & $10 boxes of note cards to help the school & give these kids a chance to win a bike or something. Last year I had to refuse when the kids were selling $15 tubs of raw cookie dough, I was sorry but that was just too much.

4. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I hate the school fundraisers. I get why they do it, but REALLY?? candy, wrapping paper and who knows what else. My kids DO earn a prize though. [​IMG]

5. PIO-PIO

PIO-PIO Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    POINCIANA, FL
    I sooo know what you mean. My dd collect for the schools jump rope for heart and made top collecter. she was sooo excited cause she won tickets to see the Orlando Magic and some other stuff but because the coach had personal issues they didnt give her stuff to her until the day before the last day of school...well past time to see any of the games [​IMG]. She was sooo upset. Its a big deal to a 7yr old! needless to say she knows better than to ask to participate this year! Im not letting her go thru that again! [​IMG]

6. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    If you feel so strongly about your children doing what is effectively voluntary charity work, then it is time to take the matter up with the Headmaster/Mistress.

I think it is good for children to understand that not everybody has everything and every once in a while people need a helping hand from those that are able to help them in some way. It is also good for them again to understand that you cannot be expected to be paid or rewarded for doing voluntary work or for helping out those in need.

If children are led to believe that they will only do something if they get paid for it or are rewarded could possibly lead to the "I'm alright Jack" syndrome.....

I am going to assume that the fundraisers are not organised by the school's PTA but an outside body.... if you are not happy with the outside body organising these fundraisers... then perhaps it would be wiser to have everything done via the PTA ..... thus ensuring that all the funds raised are used for the good of the charity and sent direct to then and not wasted on administration costs.

Get together with other parents and voice your concerns direct to the schools ................

7. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    Get a copy of the school's financial report, and look at how much $ is spent in the sports programs. It will shock you.

I do not bother participating with the school fundraisers since all the kids sell is a ton of junk that is not worth the money.

8. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Our neighbor came over to sell us magazines, and I admit I did buy one, but my son was saying the same thing as you guys. We homeschool, so he didn't understand why his friend had to try and raise money for his school! Just baffled him completely.

9. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I know the reason for the change in fundraiser prizes. It is because the IRS has deemed that an award for "top sales" is equated to wage, and the prize is taxable income. A school that follows the rules would have to give 1099 form to the award winner, not much for the district P.R.
    I also do not let my children sell all the junk the school asks them to peddle. I pay my property taxes to support running education efficiently and to build/repair schools and buses.

10. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:We don't have headmaster/mistresses in America. LOL Although I would love to have that title. [​IMG]

In my children's school, there was a lot of pressure to sell. The kids that sold the most got praised publicly by their teachers.

I think that it is dangerous to expect children to go door to door selling items. Some of the kids who have come to my door had no parent with them, not even waiting on the sidewalk.

My son's last school told the kids to not go door to door but to get their parents to sell the items at their work! I hate when my friends' children ask me to buy overpriced items also.

I understand that schools need money but there has to be a better way.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by