School hours..

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chick1043, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I'm homeschooled in tenth grade. Right now I do a Virtual Highschool called iSucceed. I'm trying to compare how much school I do and the average public school high schooler does. I need to know how what time they arrive to what time they leave from their school, how many hours they spend on lunch, recess, studying at home, etc.

As a homeschooler you have more responsibilities around the house. Many people think homeschoolers don't have any social life, but they're wrong! Every Monday I go to a Home-school Co-op. Its kinda like a real school where you can take real classes, recess, lunch, etc. So yes! I have a very social life! Some people also think home schoolers are nerdy. LOL NO they really aren't. We DO wear the "latest" styles and such. We don't wear like.....(no offense to them! And I loove their show!) Dugger skirts/outfits. lol

I guess I'm just trying to kinda rant to people about how we "home schoolers" aren't what they think and such..[​IMG] My dad is always "reminding me" that public schoolers do a whole lot more school than we "home schoolers" do..I'm really sick of it because I do almost 8 hours of school a day. My dad has never been homeschooled so he doesn't know what its even like!! My mom is too busy to do school with my little sister, because shes helping my oldest brother with his divorce, so I am her I guess you could say teacher. Tonight I said something (sarcastically) like "I wonder how much kids will be learning in about another 60 years!" lol because the world will change and we'll find more out about stuff..And my dad said something like "well it doesn't matter anyways because they're already learning a whole lot more than you are"..

Instead of starting with all the other students I had to start a month later because of something to do with the enrollment. So I have been WAAAY over working myself to catch up!! Almost there too!! And then....My dad had to say something like that...He has asked me "Why is it every time I see you you're doing school"? And I tell him because I need to catch up.

Thanks...I just need advice..[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Oh my goodness. I think you are doing way more than other kids in public schools. How many hours per day a child goes to school can vary from State to State. In Washington State a child is required to attend 180 days per year. I believe that a day is 5 or 5.5 hours of instruction. It's been a very long time since my kids were in public school. We homeschooled through the first 2 years of community college.

There are many different types of homeschooling. We unschooled. That means I gave the kids all the things that they needed to learn but they had to do the work on their own. There are other families that have school at home. The Duggar family seems to school like this. With you from what you have described, you are in school. It is a virtual school but you are still being required to attend via the computer.

I think it is a good thing that you are teaching your younger sibling. Up until the past 100 to 125 years school was often taught by older kids. The one room school house meant that the teacher would teach the older kids, and the old kids were expected to help the younger kids. Though often the teachers were very young themselves.

I hope that at some point your dad can learn to be more supportive of you. Homeschooled kids are often better educated than kids that are in public schools. A homeschooled kid has to learn to work on their own, and will often work more around the home. The thing about learning is that we should learn to learn for a lifetime. We should never stop learning. Homeschooling teaches this concept.

I am proud of you for working so hard.

3. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:Thanks :) This helps! :)

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I'm in Year 10 (going into 11 in a couple of months, eek real exams [​IMG]).
    A school day's basically six hours long, one of those is break. I do six subjects... subjects are very restrictive in the course I want to do next year. I'd ideally like a different combination but unfortunately that isn't possible.

I don't know what it's like to be homeschooled. A lot of people I know get the impression that the kids sit in their beds typing on laptops all day, but I know from talking to others on BYC that isn't all it's about. [​IMG]

Coz I'm at a private school we get a LOT of these "fun days" off lessons for things such as sport, house "bonding", picnics, just general days off to make us look cool... most of these are really quite dull, although they do allow more time to catch up with friends who aren't in our classes.

5. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    ray's two cents :

I'm in Year 10 (going into 11 in a couple of months, eek real exams [​IMG]).
    A school day's basically six hours long, one of those is break. I do six subjects... subjects are very restrictive in the course I want to do next year. I'd ideally like a different combination but unfortunately that isn't possible.

I don't know what it's like to be homeschooled. A lot of people I know get the impression that the kids sit in their beds typing on laptops all day, but I know from talking to others on BYC that isn't all it's about. [​IMG]

Coz I'm at a private school we get a LOT of these "fun days" off lessons for things such as sport, house "bonding", picnics, just general days off to make us look cool... most of these are really quite dull, although they do allow more time to catch up with friends who aren't in our classes.

Thanks :) And no! LOL Sitting in bed with a laptop isn't what its all about! [​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    So if Mom is too busy with your brothers divorce... and you are homeschooling your little sister..
    Who is teaching YOU?
    And why doesnt dad like that you are homeschooled?? [​IMG]

I'm all for homeschooling, if the parents are responsible in doing it.
    Public school today is a scary place to be.,.IMO
    If i had kids, and wasnt so dumb...i would soooo homeschool my kids...

7. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    Yea, public school can be scary. You see in a lot of those shows on TV, and even the public schools in my quiet, boring city can get a little rough at times. At most of them it's a competition to see who can wear their skirts the shortest without showing any underwear. [​IMG]
    I'm so glad my school isn't like that one bit.

8. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    I arrive at school a 7:30 school starts at 7:45. 25 minute lunch then back to class. I get back home at 330 (school ends at 3:15) Then I will have about 4 hours of course work depending on the day. Block schedule determines if it is a even day or odd. Monday is full 7. That does not include weekends.

I started on august 3rd and will not get out till may 15th ish. Then within that school year is 1 week of fall break, 2 weeks of Christmas break, and 1 spring break.

9. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:I'm currently doing iSucceed Virtual Highschool. I have real teachers. I can contact them if needed. We have what's is called "Class-Connects" where all the students get together on school. Hard to explain..lol So really I do school by myself. And If I need help I can contact a teacher. I am in school, just online. :)

I have no clue why my dad doesn't quite like homeschool...[​IMG] I just really wish he could be more supportive! We would be in public school if it weren't for all the perverse stuff in real school.

10. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] Dude, that is a LONG school day. Mine begins at 8:30 and ends at 3:30 [​IMG] 4 hours!
    I barely have any homework at all! If it weren't for revision, I needn't do anything related to school outside of class. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by