School me on Red Goldens please

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by yotetrapper, May 16, 2010.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I have my first ones hatching as we speak. We currently have ringnecks... am I correct in assuming they can't be housed together? How much space do they need? Any special feed requirements? My husband has been wanting these for some time, so I dont want to kill them on him, lol. Do they need a coop, or just a windbreak?

2. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    No body has red golds here?

3. 4dabirds

4dabirds Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2010
    Oklahoma Panhandle
    I am probably not the one to "school" anyone, but I'll throw in my two cents. I have an adult pair that I bought locally last fall. I keep them in a 6 x 10 chainlink dogkennel with a wire floor and top. I put a plastic 55 gallon drum in for shelter and a tarp for a wind break on the north side of the pen. I put a little wood and tree limb lean-to beside the barrel, this is where I find all the eggs. I have not hatched any eggs yet but I did shove a few under a banty hen this morning. I will feed them game bird starter if they hatch. The chicks will need to be kept inside or in a brooder. [​IMG]

4. kikescove.com

kikescove.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Selah Washington
    generally they shouldn't be housed together, but yes there are success stories. They do not need a coop, just a shelter. I feed regular pheasant food with lots of snacks such as ground corn, and food from the garden.

5. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Thanks guys! I ended up with 2, with 8 more showing veins in the bator.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by