school project *SURVEY* on genetic defects Chickens,ducks,quail

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cherokeechick33, Apr 10, 2009.

1. cherokeechick33

cherokeechick33 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    kenton, Ohio
    hello I am doing a school science project on heredity and genetic defects in Chickens,Ducks, and bobwhite quail. so if you keep track on your "defects" : extra toes,legs,wings,ect. please I actually want to know more on this because it seems interesting, if you hatched the "defect" how many hatched with it? or do you have any pictures of them? I have to make a poster and need some pics of defected animals so please do a ratio number 4:1 or whatever. Thanks sooo much!
    Taylor
    Thankss MssPrissy

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    For a school project you should check your spelling - survay is incorrect - survey is correct.

Not all hatching defects are due to genetics gone awry. Many defects - cross beaks, missing eye, leg and foot issues can be due to the humidity issues in incubation. It is hard to distinguish which of those could also be a genetic defect.

3. cherokeechick33

Jul 17, 2008
    kenton, Ohio
    MissPrissy,
    I am sorry.

8. Do not post overly personal information like your phone number, address, age (especially if you are a minor) or any other personal info you don't want the whole world to see.​

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2009
  4. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    What a great idea and good luck!! I love seeing kids take an interest in anything farm related [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am trying to help you.

Edit your first post and fix the misspelling.

More people will take you serious and help you when your words are spelled properly.

Also - quail is misspelled.

6. cherokeechick33

Jul 17, 2008
    kenton, Ohio
    Please I really want to get an 'A' on this project and I have to figure out what I am doing before April 29. and if this does not work I have to think of something fast.
    Please Help Me!! [​IMG]
    Thanks
    And because "Not all hatching defects are due to genetics gone awry. Many defects - cross beaks, missing eye, leg and foot issues can be due to the humidity issues in incubation. It is hard to distinguish which of those could also be a genetic defect."
    maybe I could just do a project on defects of Chickens, Ducks, and Quail due to incubation mistakes.
    Thanks though [​IMG]

7. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    If you do a search on here for the different birth defects, example search for cross beak, you can find information on them. Also if you google the type of defect you can see photos of them. Hope that helps. I haven't had any hatch with problems like that or I would help you. Try to do the searches and go from there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by