school project

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by koda55533, Apr 9, 2011.

1. koda55533

koda55533 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    okay so one of the classes at my high school hatched out some chicks and my teacher asked me if we could give them something that would not mess with thier health but could grow some of them larger than the others. i couldn't really think of anything so that is why i am posting this question. is there something we could feed them or put in thier water? again i don't want to do anyting to mess with thier health.

2. gtche98

gtche98 New Egg

Mar 16, 2011
    Personally, I think that is a horrible thing for the teacher to suggest. Chicks are not soybean sprouts sitting on the window sill that can be experimented with. If I were you, I would tell the teacher that all the chicks should receive the same chick starter crumble and nothing else. The only way to make some bigger is to make some smaller through malnutrition. How cruel...

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I supose you could limit amount of protien to one group and give other straight chick starter. Provide 20% or higher protien blend to group A and 15% Protein to group B. This would'nt be exactly unhealthy though it would give the normal boost chicken keepers supply to group A. Group B would'nt be stunted but grow slower, perhaps more natural to natures intent.

Game feed blends over 20% protien. Lowest chick starter or growers blend of 14% protien. You'd see a noticable difference in 2 weeks with only that 5 to 8% difference in feed. Then of course put them all on the same blend or mix what you have together for a good chick mix.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  4. ShortCircuitRanch2332

ShortCircuitRanch2332 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    THAT'S DISGUSTING! and what do they plan to do with those babies when there little science project is done? dissect them? that is horrible I would tell that teacher to [​IMG] off

5. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm hoping that the teacher meant "maximize growth" and not what others are thinking...augh!

6. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    wow!! How could a teacher even ask for students to do something like that? ummm...very cruel to the chicks.. maybe your teacher should do an expirement with something that isnt living, and breathing!

7. koda55533

koda55533 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    okay i see there has been some confusion. we do not want to cause harm to the chicks in any way shape or form. i was just curious if feeding the chicks a different kind of feed like organic versus the machine processed food. we do not want to stunt the chicks growth but to see if one kind of food will make some chicks grow larger than the other. i am sorry if this has offended any body.

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:A correctly fed chick, or any animal, will grow according to it's genetic makeup so the only way to alter that is to mess with it's health by over or under feeding it. Yes there are feeds designed to encourage optimal growth such as for meat birds, but again, trying to get standard chickens to grow faster then normal or put on more weight then normal is going to mess with their health.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  9. outdoor junkie

outdoor junkie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    Call Tyson and ask them, they see mto have it figured out.[​IMG]

10. MrsStephan

MrsStephan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Your teacher could get herself into trouble. High school students are not allowed to do any kind of experiment with vertebrates. (Animals with backbones) The class might be able to do an experiment with behavior, but the best thing to do is send the chicks to good homes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by