School Shopping

How old are your girls? When I was about 13 my mother gave me x number of dollars and told me to buy my wardrobe. She made it clear that if I made mistakes I had to live with them because that was all the clothes money I was going to get. She figured I would make some mistakes. I fooled her. I went to the library and got some books on how to build a wardrobe. I ended up buying just a few items, but the ones I bought looked nice and I wore them for years. If your girls are too young for that, give them a calculator and tell them how much money is alloted. They will soon figure out that if they spend it all on say shoes, they are going to be pretty naked.

I think that is great advice cassie. Seems like a great way to also start teaching budgeting and planning.

When I was young my mom would have us try on clothes and go through our old school supplies. What still fits? Backpack still fine? We would make a list of what was needed and my mom would let us get a set number of new things. We went in with a list and knew in advance we needed and really stuck to just that. If the old things we had were fine then we did not rebuy. It made me mad sometimes when I was young but I appreciate it now as an adult.

I was usually allowed 1 pair of new shoes for school, a new jacket, and a set number of practical clothes. I knew that going in and could just pick those things. If there was something else I really wanted I had to decide if I wanted it badly enough to save as a gift for my birthday or christmas or a special occasion..

All schools have uniforms over here in Aus so thankfully we don't have this problem. :)

With my teen however clothing for weekends etc was starting to be something she wanted everytime she saw something nice so I opened a bank (kids fee free one with debit card) account and each week ten dollars goes in it. She saves for what she wants and then buys what she wants. Its only allowed be spent on clothes and it gets her used to the idea that money doesn't grow on trees and you need to save and budget c

Last edited:
I just went school shopping for myself (I don't get to buy the fun stuff anymore, but I did have fun browsing through the school supplies section) and the most stressful thing was the cost! Most of my school supplies were things like lab coats and coveralls though. It's amazing how things add up so quick!

I was never/have never been a normal girl/woman. When I had to get clothes: "MOM! Can I get my stuff from tractor supply?" When I was going into highschool, I got a new pair of boots! I always shopped on the clearance racks. Like, you had to DRAG me off the clearance racks.
tongue.png

I was never/have never been a normal girl/woman. When I had to get clothes: "MOM! Can I get my stuff from tractor supply?" When I was going into highschool, I got a new pair of boots! I always shopped on the clearance racks. Like, you had to DRAG me off the clearance racks.
tongue.png
When I was in school, my idea of high fashion was jeans, cowboy boots, a chambray shirt, and earrings. However, that simply wasn't an option. At that time girls had to wear skirts or dresses. No jeans, no slacks, no pants of any kind. Period.

Back
Top Bottom