School teacher getting a Hovabator. Help on which one and cost.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kupi99, Mar 21, 2012.

1. kupi99

kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Hello all-

I am a preschool teacher. I teach 3 year olds. For the past several years we have been hatching eggs in our classroom in a Little Giant Incubator that was donated to our school. While each year we get chicks, we sadly do not get very many. It's hard to control variables like air temp that the LG needs in order to make successful hatches.

This year we have a bit of money from our fund raisers, so I want to get a Hoverbator for our room!
    I need helping knowing which model would be best for our classroom, and where I can get one. I also need to get an egg turner, and need help on selecting that as well. We never hatch very many eggs at a time, only about 10 or so. I'd like to keep all the costs between $100-130 (if possible).

I'm excited about getting a new incubator. Thanks for your help!

2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma

I recommend getting something like a brinsea eco, or brinsea mini advanced. I think there is one on Ebay right now that's used. I would recommend getting the hovabator to someone that isn't a preschool teacher, but since I know that the little kids will be crowding around the incubator to get a peak, I would suggest getting the one with a clear dome, instead of the one with 2 little windows.

This is for the kids enjoyment right!

3. kupi99

kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Wow. Those certainly do look easier for he classroom than my LG. I always worried though about the success rate with those little bators. Might ask around on here some more, and see if others like them as well.

Thank you so much for the tip!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by