School was already cancelled for tomorrow (too cold!)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    This is like last year. -25 degrees F actual and -55 with wind chill. All the schools in this area are already closed. Should be an interesting ride to work tomorrow since my son's truck does not have heat! You can get frost bite in 3 min in this stuff. I have the wood stove blaring for the bantams and I'm hoping two heat lamps are enough for the hens tonight and into tomorrow. I can't wait till spring! Anyone else getting crazy temps out there??

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Ah, January in Wisconsin.... how well I remember the days, plugging in my old 1978 Mercury Cougar so that it would start in the morning... until I moved to Wisconsin, I had no idea that there was a place on a vehicles engine block where you could plug in an electric cord to keep the oil warm enough so that if your battery was good enough, the car would start. Even then, there were days I had to take the bus!

I remember driving down Wisconsin Ave. to Marquette from Wawautosa, only to find out that school had been canceled!... cuz it was too darned cold!

A few years ago my former landlady passed on in the middle of January... her son called me and said,... "She would understand if you didn't come... the ground is too frozen for the backhoes at the cemetery to dig her grave!" They used a tape of something I had sung for her years earlier at the funeral... so I was kinda there in spirit.

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    One winter in Montana I remember taking vehicle battery into house to thaw so you could start the car. And sink pipes frozen at the shop and they had to be thawed with a torch thing, so coffee could be made.

4. luvmygirlsinAK

luvmygirlsinAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Pole, Ak
    Quote:Yep, that's what we have to do here! My dad passed away in December, the burial was in June-you have to wait your turn even when it does thaw!!!

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would only live up there if I never had to leave my house unless I wanted to.

6. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    It was cancelled here in Ky this morning too. we get a flurry here and they call it off, but that is because of all these back roads on these mountains it gets rough sometimes. I sure am glad I don't have to get out on the roads today

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by