Schoolchicks Mom

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Schoolchicks, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Schoolchicks

Schoolchicks New Egg

Feb 3, 2017
    Hi everybody. I took on a job as the "Farm & Garden teacher" at a small K-8 charter school in California, about 4 years ago. The school has sheep, goats, rabbits, and chickens, plus a large garden. I was an Animal Science major in college (eons ago!), but never got involved with the chickens during school. So I've been learning a LOT during the last few years. We do have a rooster, so we incubate our own eggs each fall and raise the chicks in a tent in my classroom until they are big enough to join the flock outside. The kids LOVE candling the eggs and watching them hatch and grow. I'm always amazed at how many kids simply love to hold the chickens (even the rooster) out in the pen. I've know about Backyard Chickens for awhile now, but finally decided to join all you folks officially. Thanks for having this site available! Looking forward to learning more from all you experienced people!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Schoolchicks, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! I'm in education myself and know firsthand how impactful introducing kids to animals and farm life can be - so happy you are giving your students that gift! Your job sounds like I one I would LOVE!! Also glad you have found BYC to be beneficial for you! Best wishes and thanks for joining us!

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Schoolchicks [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Kids and animals are a natural match...it's great your school kids are able to get first hand experience with the animals you have. They're learning lessons they'll remember a lifetime.

If you'd like to 'meet' other members in CA, you can find a link to your home state thread here: post #1

Thank you for joining us, I'm sure you're experiences and expertise will be valuable here.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Gee, I'm old and my school never did anything fun like that. I am an animal lover since birth and would have loved classes like that.

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hey there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens!!! I am so glad you decided to join our big, happy family! Please make yourself at home and enjoy yourself here! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by