Science camp about chickens/birds - would love ideas about how to teach genetics for K-6th

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The Lisser, Jan 22, 2012.

1. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been asked to write camps for this upcoming summer for my workplace, a science museum. The camp will be week-long half-day and full day camps for kids K-6th grades (divided into 3 age groups). I've written a basic plan for the camp, but if there are any teachers or genetics folks out there that would like to help me introduce genetics of chickens to youngsters, I would love your input.

Aside from genetics, we will be talking about the basic features of birds, how eggs develop (and I'll have eggs at different stages for candling and hatching), bird structures and flight, bird behavior, domestic verses wild birds, and more! We will make bird feeders, bird marionettes, and other fun crafts, and the kids will get to "design" their own chicken breeds.

I need help trying to figure out how to teach a simply version of genetics and how certain color/patterns are inherited for the older kids. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by