Science Fair Coming - Need ideas from Chicken Folks!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by stnkyferit, Jan 12, 2013.

1. stnkyferit

stnkyferit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2012
    Hi everyone!

My son's science fair is coming up in March. Last year we did a "Which animal is the smartest" experiment with my horse, 2 goats and 2 dogs. We put food in different types of containers and timed how long it took them to figure out how to get the food out (i.e. carrots under a bucket, carrots in a container with a hole, an Amazing Graze, etc)....it was fun...

This year we would like to do something with our three hens!

Any ideas?!?!?! I was thinking about what influences effect egg size/weight (i.e. different types of healthy foods given), or maybe something as simple as foods by color (i.e the hens immediately tried all the foods that were red but it took a while for them to warm up to yellow).....

We are new chicken folks so I bet some experts could think of something cool....

Oh, and in case you were wondering.....The horse was the smartest, and the girl goat and the puppy were tied for, well, not being too swift....

2. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    The production of an egg? Sorry, I'm not super good with kid stuff LOL!

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    How a free range diet effects yoke color (with with that color nutritional content)? It would mean keeping them somewhat separate for awhile but you could make it so they could still see each other? If you do not have a big yard with lots of healthy vegetation you can simulate a free range diet with fodder.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/713334/growing-fodder-for-chickens

You could free one hen regular feed, one half with limited supplements and one feed with free choice suppliments or some variation there of.

The diets would turn out pretty visually different egg yolks.

http://simpledailyrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/cage-free-eggs.jpg

4. stnkyferit

stnkyferit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2012
    Thats interesting with the egg yolk color!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by